Keeping your hands warm

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by Dave79, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Dave79

Dave79 New Member

Rides:
    Honda Forza 125
    Hi all

I have a Honda Forza 125 and was wondering what handle bar muffs people use is any? Is there ones to ignore or must haves etc.

Thanks
    Dave

2. torpedo01

torpedo01 Active Member

Rides:
    Pedal Bike M8
  3. Dave79

Dave79 New Member

Rides:
    Honda Forza 125
    Oh wow really. I'll have a look at those. What the longest you're ridden in them, I ride an hour and a half to work?

4. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

I did an arctic trip last winter, used 3 pairs of gloves, heated grips and muffs....

5. torpedo01

torpedo01 Active Member

Rides:
    Pedal Bike M8
    3 hours for a social ride and i now do a commute of 2 hours each way per day

Dave79 likes this.
  6. twodogs

twodogs Active Member

Rides:
    scooters
    hand guards help a lot as it stops the wind from hitting your knuckles

7. Dave79

Dave79 New Member

Rides:
    Honda Forza 125
    Well I have ordered some of these, so thanks very much for the recommendation

Dave

8. Dave79

Dave79 New Member

Rides:
    Honda Forza 125
    Well the gloves have turned up. I have used the for the last 2 days. Although very good for £10 my hands have unfortunately still got cold. They last longer than my old gloves I'll give them that, but not for my whole commute.

9. twodogs

twodogs Active Member

Rides:
    scooters
    try over mits or carrier bags over your gloves

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  10. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

J&S Accessories do a pair of bar mitts for about £25, worked for me.

11. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Disposable gloves under...

12. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Just get handlebar mitts. You can wear thin gloves under them and they are brilliant.
    If you are a serious commuter I can also recommend a leg cover/apron.
    I used to ride in the winter in my normal trousers.
    You can get universal ones but they don't attach to the scooter. The advantage is you can use it on any scooter the disadvantage is youhave to put it on/off.
    The dedicated model ones just loop over your head like an apron but also keep your seat dry when parked.
    Ok they don't look exactly "cool" but if you suffer from the cold there is no better answer apart from a car lol.

scubabiker likes this.
  13. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

winter scooter.jpg
    The main problem on longer rides is wind chill.
    All you've got to do is stop the wind reaching your fingers.
    You can get quality heavy duty winter gloves but they are thick so you sometimes have problems with the controls.
    You can get Overmitts which are usually waterproof so stop wind/rain but I've found cheaper ones can be a poor fit for your thumb so you have the same problem.
    Handlebar mitts stay on the scooter/bike and you can use your favourite summer gloves.
    They could be a problem with the vespa/lambretta gearchange but that doesn't apply to modern autos.
    Heated grips are fine but you will need to strip off some of your plastics to fit them and they won't stop your gloves getting wet.
    Finally you could get a screen as long as it covers your hands so stopping the wind chill.
    The choice is yours.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    scubabiker likes this.
  14. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Just to add I have looked at handguards and you can get ones that either fit using a bracket under the mirror or you can get others that work by removing your bar end weights and the guard just replaces them.
    At least that would stop the wind chill.
    I don't know your scooter but my choice would be handlebar mitts. just make sure they are for scooters as they have a wider neck to clamp round the handlebar plastic unlike a bike with a normal 7/8" bar.
    Givi do excellent ones but it's your budget so you can decide what you get lol

15. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    Infinity motorcycles have reduced there oxford premium heater grips from £79.99 to a cool £48.99

maybe worth a look instead of bar guards and/or bar mits ;)

16. Dave79

Dave79 New Member

Rides:
    Honda Forza 125
    I have gone for Givi handle bar Muff's. They have a really good fit around the handle bars. Bring on the Monday commute to see how they are

gilburton likes this.
  17. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Well done. Your commute is a bit longer than most so a heavy duty solution is required as the "cold" can affect some people more than others.
    As long as you can freely get your hands in/out and you are really familiar with the switches and can easily get at the brake levers..
    Some people can't get on with them as the cheaper versions tend to droop and close up.
    I fitted them for a 20 min commute on fast dual carriageways but I'm old so felt the cold lol
    Just allow a few days to get used to them.

18. twodogs

twodogs Active Member

Rides:
    scooters
    a neck warmer is a brilliant idea to keep the wind off your throat much better than a scarf and there only a few pounds

19. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Any updates??

20. Dave79

Dave79 New Member

Rides:
    Honda Forza 125
    They are ok, but not the best. They do keep my hands warmer for longer, but on very cold mornings or evenings the cold does start to come through. I haven't tried them with the gloves mentioned earlier as the temp has improved, so using my old Hien Gerike ones.
    I have a next warmer thing from Aldi, it was only a couple of quid but well worth it.