Jonway Madness 125 re-build (hopefully)

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by AndreiMadness125, Jun 7, 2018.

  1. AndreiMadness125

    AndreiMadness125 Member

    Messages:
    50
    Well I may as well start a thread on my current project, basically the Madness has been sitting idle for a couple of years as I could never afford to get it fixed up, initially the spark plug blew out on me (common thing I hear), stripped the threads in the cylinder head, etc etc, after that I parked it up until I could do something about it, now I just want to dig in and see how much work it needs to get back on the open (if only) road.

    So I've already replaced the cylinder head and got a second-hand exhaust system for it, which I was lucky to find as it has the EGR port on the downpipe, and all the new exhaust systems I found didn't have that, so good result there. I set the engine timing as per online guides, and the valve clearance as best I could with a feeler gauge (not too tight).

    Today I wanted to see if I could fire the engine up after an oil change, but resulted in finding a fuel spill from one of the hoses (separate thread).

    Few pictures from today.


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]
    Some lovely Natural black Yogurt there, handy container as it turned out, fitted perfectly under the ramp.


    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]

    Got a complete new set of oil sump plug, O-ring, spring and oil strainer all together, and bunged them in before putting in fresh new oil.

    New spark plug too.

    [​IMG]


    Didn't get many more pics as was trying to focus on the job more, next task is to replace the leaking fuel hose and see if I can get her fired up.
     
  2. AndreiMadness125

    AndreiMadness125 Member

    Messages:
    50
    Ok, bit more progress here, replaced the rear brake system today, first time trying it and it WAS fiddly, a lot of cursing and swearing but got there in the end. Managed to get the complete kit, master cylinder, brake lever, and caliper with pads and mounting bracket from PedParts. Arrived next day after ordering, pleased with that.

    Some photos:

    Had to dis-assemble the front end and the floor tray to get access to the hose, was a real bitch getting the old one out, had to disconnect it in several places and finally wiggled it out through the steering column.
    [​IMG]



    [​IMG]


    New brake kit:
    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    Old caliper:
    [​IMG]


    New brake:

    [​IMG]



    [​IMG]



    Also replaced the fuel filter for a clear universal one, similar shape to the stock filters.


    [​IMG]


    Now I have working brakes, next job is probably replacing the front forks, will have to shop around to get the best deal on them. Any recommendations are welcome.
     
  3. Stevep

    Stevep Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    4,951
    Does it run?
    You haven't said................
     
  4. AndreiMadness125

    AndreiMadness125 Member

    Messages:
    50
    Yes, the engine runs and I've taken it for a brief spin up/down the drive, only thing is I can't seem to get it started from kick starting, only starts on electric start. Not sure why, could need to adjust something on the carb maybe, will experiment.

    I did mention that it runs on another thread, the "No electrical power" one, in case you didn't see that one.

    Cheers.
     
  5. Stevep

    Stevep Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    4,951
    Nope, didn't see that one, good to hear though:)
     
  6. AndreiMadness125

    AndreiMadness125 Member

    Messages:
    50
    Thanks, still a fair bit of work to be done yet.
     
  7. AndreiMadness125

    AndreiMadness125 Member

    Messages:
    50
    Ok, little more progress with this, I've replaced the front brake master cylinder today, didn't take long, as the old one was totally FUBAR.

    Old unit:

    [​IMG]

    The brake lever was also heavily scuffed and didn't match the new rear brake lever, but now they are both black and shiny.

    [​IMG]



    New unit:

    [​IMG]


    [​IMG]


    Was straight forward enough to replace, the outlet is in a different position on the new unit, on the side instead of on the front on the old one, but managed to comfortably bolt on the hose and banjo bolt without any dramas. Plugged in the new brakelight switch and it works. Filled with new fluid and closed it up after a few gentle sqeezes of the lever just to get the fluid to the caliper and test it, but will need to properly bleed it at some point. Next task will be to replace the front forks.
     

Share This Page