Italjet formula 50 LC project?

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by italjohn, Aug 5, 2009.

1. synco

synco Member

Rides:
    Italjet Formula 50LC
    That could be the best solution but if the bolt thread isn't the same as the brake hose bolt there is no possibility to fit them.

I finally found a good exhaust that i like, it's the Doppler S3R for the katana. Firstly i bought a polini super race but the had a problem with the database and they don't have it in stock and i made a change. I only found one decent pic of the exhaust but looks gooorgeous http://www.donotlink-pedstop.co.uk/p/SUZUKI-KATANA-SR-DOPPLER-EXHAU-933.aspx

Also bought the Turbomaxx variator and variator pulley and fan and i'm still looking for the stage6 clutch at a good price

I will post more info when i had everything at home :)

2. italjohn

italjohn Member

Rides:
    Runner 172
    looking forward to see it :)
    [​IMG]

3. italjohn

italjohn Member

Rides:
    Runner 172
    YES I did get my new crank today :grin:
    Will deliver it to my local shop, so they can change the conrod to 80mm with 12mm topend.

4. italjohn

italjohn Member

Rides:
    Runner 172
    Here is the new crank.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. bait

bait Active Member

nice when you recon itll be ready?

6. italjohn

italjohn Member

Rides:
    Runner 172
    I was hoping to start working on it in a few days.

7. italjohn

italjohn Member

Rides:
    Runner 172
    Here is the new crank with the 5mm longer conrod.
    (The camera lens is making them look curved.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have also plugged the old holes, now I need some liquide metal, to fil the plugs eaven with the gasket surface.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. italjohn

italjohn Member

Rides:
    Runner 172
    Here is how I did mark out the now holes.
    Sorry for the bad picture quality.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. italjohn

italjohn Member

Rides:
    Runner 172
    And here we go... :grin:

[​IMG]

10. italjohn

italjohn Member

Rides:
    Runner 172
    Here I have matched the cylinder and the block.
    I had to remove a lot of metal from the engine casting.
    Sorry for the bad pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Test assembly :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. synco

synco Member

Rides:
    Italjet Formula 50LC
    Wow John!! you did a great work, but i'm wondering how you did the new holes and how you found the center of them. I used a piece of metal, traced a center line and made holes matching the diagonal of the two centers (46 and 52), i think that i made a photo of it.

When you will fit the crank and everything else? i would love to listen that engine sound, i liked so much the hebo cylinder and maybe the next modification i will do would be fit that cylinder.

I received the Doppler exhaust and it's gorgeous, but needed a big modification and i fitted it last weekend. Sounds great and gives great power with the new variator that also fitted. In the end the vario it's a TJT because Turbokit ended production of the turbomaxx variator for the old morinis, but it's also good and it's very lightweight.
    I think that tomorrow i will receive the stage6 clutch and this weekend i will fit it and configure the hole transmission. I will post pics when i'll be at home because i'm working out of my town about 400km far away.

12. tErr0

tErr0 Administrator Staff Member

This is defiantly a love over sense project. I think it's why I quite like it.

Anyone else would cut and weld to fit a piaggio or minarelli engine instead of all the hassle of getting bits built and fitting bits for other engines/bikes!!

Keep the updates coming.

13. italjohn

italjohn Member

Rides:
    Runner 172
    Thanks for the comments guys.
    I'm trying to fill the big holes around the reed, and the "liquid metal" take some time to harden. The same thing Synco did. (Will post pics later) Will install the crank next week.
    I'm really looking forward to start her up :grin:

14. synco

synco Member

Rides:
    Italjet Formula 50LC
    A good trick to make the liquid metal harden faster is heat the cases with a hair dryer or a hot air gun, you will be surprised how fast it hardens at 50Âșc.

Today arrived the clutch at home and tomorrow i will check it and maybe i will fit it. Next week i will be working on the workshop in my town so i will have some time in the evening to tune it precisely. The last thing i need to end the transmission tune is the rear half pulley and maybe a moded front variator pulley and i will end on spending money on engine parts :D

15. italjohn

italjohn Member

Rides:
    Runner 172
    I did buy this brake Cliper from German Ebay.
    It was not a good buy, than it tured out that all screws was corroded, 1 of them did go off when I try to unscrew them.
    Anyway now all are out, and I have paint striped the caliper.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is some pictures of the cleaned engine as well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the liquid metal in place.
    Before
    [​IMG]
    After
    [​IMG]

16. synco

synco Member

Rides:
    Italjet Formula 50LC
    Hi all,

Yesterday i fitted the stage6 torque control clutch without any problem, it's like it was made for morinis :D The bell fitted perfect aswell, removed the spacer used with the original clutch and everything was right. It's a pitty but i don't have pics of it, this week i will try to take some.

I have some pics of the doppler exhaust as i promised.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. italjohn

italjohn Member

Rides:
    Runner 172
    Thanks for the good info about the clutch.
    And please post some pictures of it when you get some spare time.
    The Doppler exhaust looks realy nice.. :good:
    It has the "correct" angle, compare to the Yasuni R that I have.

[​IMG]

18. synco

synco Member

Rides:
    Italjet Formula 50LC
    Yes, it has the right angle because i cutted the first curve and reweld it in the right possition :grin: it was a bit tricky because it needed some weld refilling in the cuts but in the end it was a succesful job. At first i placed it as it was and needed even more mods to fit because it was very very low.

Be aware if you plan to fit the stage6 clutch that you need the bell aswell, the diameter of the clutch only matches with the stage6 bell. You will see what i mean whe i post the pics. I also found some info about the racing clutches used and stage6 says that de 112mm clutches engages better than the 107mm because it has more friction surface, so keeping this diameter in our engines is the best solution.

19. italjohn

italjohn Member

Rides:
    Runner 172
    Sorry for the late update on the engin, but I'm using a lot of time helping my son with his car sound system.
    He has bougth him self a BMW E46 (3 series)

Here is the progress on the sub box.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. PrettyDodgyDave

PrettyDodgyDave Member

Rides:
    Runner 180
    flippen ells its alright for some :D how olds your son?