Italjet Dragster won't start.

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by MumboJumbo, Mar 13, 2017.

1. MumboJumbo

MumboJumbo New Member

Rides:
    Italjet Dragster 125
    Hi all,

I've been doing all the odd jobs on the do-up Dragster 125 I bought recently, and apart from the back brake it's about ready for it's MOT. That's if I can get it started - it was running fine, then wouldn't start and then on Saturday it was running lovely for about half an hour while I warmed the cooling system up.
    I've had the plug out, got a good spark, but it doesn't even seem to be firing. I've changed the throttle cable and the carb slider moves fine so I don't think this is causing the problem.
    I know it's been asked a thousand times but I can't seem to find an answer - what are the standard carb settings (looking at these as a starting point). Also, how does the auto choke work - I don't know if this could be the problem but again if I can rule it out then all good.
    Any help or advice will be very welcome.

Thanks.

2. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  3. MumboJumbo

MumboJumbo New Member

Rides:
    Italjet Dragster 125
    That's helpful, thanks. I'll have a look at that after work tomorrow.

4. twodogs

twodogs Active Member

Rides:
    scooters
    try a new plug there seems to be a lot of dodgy ones about, I know of 3 people who have had intermittent starting due to the plug in the last month

5. MumboJumbo

MumboJumbo New Member

Rides:
    Italjet Dragster 125
    Plug's fine, got a really good strong spark on it. As I said it was running fine but now it's not playing - first thing I did was take the plug out, clean it and test it. Going to put 12v across the autochoke when I get home from work and see what's going on there.

6. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Probably a fuel blockage so a carb strip would probably sort it assuming you are getting a good flow of fuel from the tank?

7. MumboJumbo

MumboJumbo New Member

Rides:
    Italjet Dragster 125
    Took the carb to bits the day I got it, it had fuel leaking out of the top when it ran which turned out to be the float sticking. Good flow of fuel so that's not the problem.

8. MumboJumbo

MumboJumbo New Member

Rides:
    Italjet Dragster 125
    Well I got home and thought I'd just have a go at the aircrew before looking at the autochoke. Wound it all the way in then about 1 3/4 turns out and guess what, it only bloody started!! Bit smokey but I'll live with that for now and get someone else to set it up properly.