Is a gear up kit worth it for me?

Discussion in 'Scooter Tuning' started by minibigs, Dec 8, 2011.

1. GUNS

GUNS the usual suspect

Rides:
    racing SP70 & LX172
    on that sport kit, the TT will function fairly well, not cutting edge obviously, but not an out and out restriction. The secret of these peds is the setting up, finding the optimum roller weight, carb settings and even clutch springs, as fancy clutches at this level are OTT.

having good facilities here, which some of the lads haven't got, I have set up some peds, which on budget parts could out-pace bikes with superior parts but not set up.

the tuning parts for 50s are cheap in comparison, to tuning the 125s, then the parts start to get a bit expensive.

Having said that, a cutting edge pipe for an 1100cc bike can cost a grand, for quite a small percentage hike in bhp.

2. minibigs

minibigs New Member

Thanks Guns, that's helped me make my mind up.
    I've just ordered a 21% Top Racing primary gear set. I will not get the big bore from my mate for a week or two as he is away from home, so will play with my other Area 51 & my Suzy CP 80 rat project until probably after Christmas now. I will post the results when done for future reference.

Cheers,
    Steve

3. minibigs

minibigs New Member

As much as the need to keep up with traffic, this is a learning experience for me... not the mechanics of it, but the setting up and fine tuning.

4. Jonnymarrw00t

Jonnymarrw00t Moderator Staff Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Zip 05 plate
    Not really dude. I use to run my zip for about 6 months completely standard with just a TT pipe. Just need to be set up correctly. But I do agree it's hard to not spend a lot of money on them. Come on just look at me or anyone else on here haha.

5. m1tch

m1tch Member

Check out this video to see how simple it can be to change over the gears etc - its where I got the idea for finding OEM gears to swap them out:

6. Neo Echavez

Neo Echavez New Member

Hi peeps. Have you experienced scooter issues when pulling up a hill from a stop? Got issues with mine, runs really fast on flat like 90km/hr. I can get up a hill fine but need some momentum. But then from a stop, i just cant pull away and i dont know why. Moves like 20km/hr and struggles that i just have to make a u turn. Also felt like it starts to bog down. Seen other 50cc scooters go up the same hill from a stop and they seem to pull up with ease compared to me? I currenlty have a stage6 70cc sports pro cylinder, technigas exhaust, stage6 sports pro variator, stage6 medium torque spring, 1000rpm clutch spring, and 4.5gm rollers. I think the previous owner of this scooter has up geared final drive with 15/42 ratio if i'm not wrong. I dont know if that affects uphill performance. I just couldn't gain momentum when going uphill from a stop. Does it have something to do with clutch springs for take off from a stop going uphill? I seem to have quite a good quick take off with it on flat but also felt like it engages a wee bit below the power band. Torque spring? I am not sure what rpm range my stage 6 medium is though. Any help, thanks.

7. Neo Echavez

Neo Echavez New Member

Hi peeps. Have you experienced scooter issues when pulling up a hill from a stop? Got issues with mine, runs really fast on flat like 90km/hr. I can get up a hill fine but need some momentum. But then from a stop, i just cant pull away and i dont know why. Moves like 20km/hr and struggles that i just have to make a u turn. Also felt like it starts to bog down. Seen other 50cc scooters go up the same hill from a stop and they seem to pull up with ease compared to me? I currenlty have a stage6 70cc sports pro cylinder, technigas exhaust, stage6 sports pro variator, stage6 medium torque spring, 1000rpm clutch spring, and 4.5gm rollers. I think the previous owner of this scooter has up geared final drive with 15/42 ratio if i'm not wrong. I dont know if that affects uphill performance. I just couldn't gain momentum when going uphill from a stop. Does it have something to do with clutch springs for take off from a stop going uphill? I seem to have quite a good quick take off with it on flat but also felt like it engages a wee bit below the power band. Torque spring? I am not sure what rpm range my stage 6 medium is though. Any help, thanks.