Interchangeable parts? Piaggio/Gilera/etc. 50 & 125

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by kallisti, Aug 6, 2018.

1. kallisti

kallisti Only scooting.

Rides:
    Piaggio Fly 2T 2010
    To make a long story short, I am looking to reenforce my Piaggio Fly 50 to allow it to withstand hard riding better over time. I'm not really looking for racing parts, as my scooter is my main mode of transport in addition to my passion. I'm going for the Sport segment and relatively anonymous "countenance". I figured swapping out for 125 parts would be a good route.

For example, I've been told that the front forks on the Piaggio Fly (and many others, presumably) 50 and 125 differ somewhat on the inside, but are identical otherwise. I hope this means that rather than disassembling the front fork and replace internal parts, I can mount a complete 125 fork if I get my hands on a well-treated specimen.

I wonder the same about the rear shock absorber: The 125 version comes with a mounting bracket to allow reinforced three point mounting, while the 50 shocks come without a bracket and are only mounted to one point.

I've not found any info indicating that the front wheels on the 50 and 125 differ apart from the brake calipers.

The speedometer on the Piaggio Fly and Vespa ET4 seem to be interchangeable between models and engine volumes (not a reenforcement, but I want the much classier Vespa ET4 125 speedo which goes to 140 km/h as opposed to 80 on the 50cc.)

That's how far I've come. I realize this is probably outside the average scooterist's expertise and do not expect much of a result, but any opinion, suggestion or insight shared, big or small, will be much appreciated.

2. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Just buy a 125 !

3. kallisti

kallisti Only scooting.

Rides:
    Piaggio Fly 2T 2010
    That's no fun; the joy is in the journey. Moreover, I only have a moped licence (never bothered with anything else; no need), and just taking the motorcycle licence would cost me at least €2500. Then there's the 125cc scooter, again, more expensive. As is the insurance.

Anyway, I've done some research since last time, and have confirmed that the front forks and wheels are identical on Fly 50, 125 & 150. Front brakes are different, so I'm going to buy and mount the ones for the 125. I already ordered a rear shock absorber from a Fly 125 which I got at near-quarter price; almost as cheap as the Fly 50 stock part.

As far as I know, everything else (apart from the engine, of course) is identical with the exception of the speedometer which I also intend to replace.

I also found out that the Derbi Boulevard scooter is virtually identical, and might get black wheel rims from that scooter one day, as the Fly only has silver gray ones.

This is probably not of interest to many, but I figured I'd update just in case.

4. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

I think a lot of part swap right over, ive noticed that things tend to be very similar between piaggio models