Insurance Costs.

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by tErr0, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Running £39.15 p.m.(TPFT) on my Piaggio atm,but insured it against a nuclear blast,as it's my 1st brand new bike and wanted to be a little more careful than usual.mk.

2. Line

Line New Member

£462 (£36PM) - Speedfight 2 50cc - London :p

3. Cboya

Cboya New Member

As a new driver I'm getting stung for 49cc typh

4. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

I swear that insurance companies have raised their prices over the last two years for scooters. They wack huge premiums on new car drivers so you cant afford to drive, everyone buys a cheap scooter so they think...oh shit, quick, lets put our costs up on scooters so young riders cant afford to ride either. They will put insurance on trainers soon so you cant afford to walk!!! Selfish, money grabbing £¥$<&>#% who drive big cars and smoke E-cigarettes and clearly hate young adults.

Cboya likes this.
  5. thosoneill

thosoneill Active Member

Rides:
    Honda sh300i
    I have just renewed my policy with JMI underwritten by aviva at a cost of £97.00 for comprehensive with a £250.00 excess - my bike is a sym citycom 300i - I chose to stay with the current insurer mainly because of the £250.00 excess - all other quotes had a significantly higher excess

6. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

I just renewed mine with MCI as they offered the cheapest for me which was £190. Not sure how this will play out as IV read bad reviews I left after Carol Nash insurance kept giving me different quotes every time I rang to renew the first was £218 and I said I'd think about it then checked online rang them again to accept as they offered breakdown recovery for free and then I spoke to someone else who offered me £367 I told him to fuck off and hung up then I rang again just to see what they said this time and the price was £279. So after starting August I'll be with MCE whi also add free breakdown recovery as well. I hope I don't regret this decision.

7. Lucy

Lucy New Member

Rides:
    Yamaha Aerox
    Just insured my 16 year old daughters Sym Fiddle 50cc
    Cheapest I could find was with Entire Cover at £224 for TPF&T.
    It included legal cover and had a compulsory excess of £350 which was very low compared to most (we didn't add a voluntary). I did pay an extra £30 which will reimburse £250 of the excess (not that I'm expecting her to dink it of course ;))

8. Jenksy

Jenksy Member

Rides:
    Lexmoto Titan
    Just got my renewal through from Swinton £108 fully comp for my Symply 50! That's a hike of overy 30 quid! Just done a search with Scoot Scoot (new one on me). They came up with £76 with Hastings! That's more like it. I mean I am an old git and I don't do lots of miles, I don't even ride in the rain because I'm a soft git! ( if god had intended Jenksy to ride in the rain he wouldn't have invented the car now would he?). Don't know why these insurance companies have to mess us about with silly quotes, most people just swap if they think they are being conned.

9. Jenksy

Jenksy Member

Rides:
    Lexmoto Titan
    The old excess is pain. They seem pretty high on scooters. My Symply2 50 is 2 years old so isn't exactly worth a fortune and £250 excess is standard but in my opinion, steep. Especially as my car insurance excess is only £100. Oh well never mind, you've got to have it so that's that really.

10. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

Thats exactly why I only get third party and not fire and theft the excess means I'd get back about £400 and its not not worth the higher yearly cost compared to just third party and taking precautions.

11. Jenksy

Jenksy Member

Rides:
    Lexmoto Titan
    Good point mate, probably go 3rd party next time. I'll try and find out the proper value. Not much I expect, no service history as I've done those bits myself so far! Don't know if that makes much difference or not on a scooters value!

12. Jenksy

Jenksy Member

Rides:
    Lexmoto Titan
    Following on from my recent post, just had a phone call from Swinton as they hadn't heard back from me. I told them that they were about £30 dearer than the best of the rest! "Let's see what we can do for you" (click on the keyboard) "can you hold the line a minute please?". After a couple of minutes he's back. " as your an existing customer and we want to keep your business I can offer a discount of £29, how does that sound?" Bloody wonderful, so £78 for the year. Why do insurance companies feel the need to try and rip you off in the first place? Oh well that saved me messing around swapping!

13. Hondanscvision

Hondanscvision New Member

Rides:
    fgfffd
    I have read some of your posts about insurance on a scooter. I'm from Denmark and assurances are a little different here than in the UK.

97% of all scooters in Denmark have what you call Third-party (TPO) insurance and costs are on average £ 85 a year with no excess.

The price of the call "comprehensive" costs about £ 400 a year with no excess. Which is a little crazy, because I give around 305 £ a year for my car insurance with around £ 160 excess.

I guess the insurance companies don't really want costumers, to have comprehensive insurance on their mopeds/scooters.

14. Jenksy

Jenksy Member

Rides:
    Lexmoto Titan
    To be honest my Sym Symply 50 is 2 1/2 years old and to buy new would cost around £1000 so fully comp insurance is a bit of waste of time. They would only give me the market value which is to be honest not a lot, so this year I'll just go tpf&t I expect!

15. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    for myself at 45yrs old and a provisonal licenced rider.

£101 third party F&F ( scooter is in the low band for insurance and its a 50cc ) via hastings
    highest price was £889 fully comp with a well known bike insurance company ( whats the point when the bikes only worth £220 ).

when i re-new i think i will add breakdown cover to the policy to. i struggled to push pedro for a mile with my medical condition so thats a good add on plan to get next time.

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  16. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Just quoted c£230 for a Lead 100 TP full licence 47.

17. twodogs

twodogs Active Member

Rides:
    scooters
    just done my multi bike policy with Carole Nash fully comp 5 bikes one new 125 one 250 the others 125 ,107, 80
    £247. 34 live on the south coast nr Littlehampton
    mind you im over 50 and have 12 years nc home start and full brake down cover plus can ride my mates bike s
    with a few conditions

18. Burridge

Burridge Ambulance selfie King

Rides:
    MZ TS125 #swag
    £250 on a Yamaha DT125R with RAC. Fully comp, 21 years old on CBT and 3 years no claims. Always gonna do it on fully comp as the bikes worth 2k+ and they often get stolen by chavs which is a worry
    £1500 on a Cooper S with Adrian flux. But we won't speak about that... [emoji24]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  19. torpedo01

torpedo01 Active Member

Rides:
    Pedal Bike M8
    I would be paying that on a toyota yaris 1.0 :oops: for some reason commercial insurance is cheaper for me so i drive bloody big vans now :rolleyes::D

20. Kriskeogh

Kriskeogh Member

£309
    Bennetts
    TPF&T
    Sym Fiddle iii 2017
    Includes breakdown, legal, equipment and accident/injury