Insurance Costs.

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by tErr0, Feb 24, 2007.

1. JoJo

JoJo Active Member

Rides:
    Honda MSX
    Mine was £263 for the year :-(
    new 2014 Honda PCX 125
    my 2013 one was £153!

2. twodogs

twodogs Active Member

Rides:
    scooters
    multy bike policy full comp gilera 250 added £24 125 Chinese bike £140 tp only told em to piss off with that are all Chinese bikes so exspensive

3. Rockin'EZ

Rockin'EZ Active Member

Rides:
    '08 GY6 150cc
    Wow! Insurance is expensive over there. In California I pay less than $100, and that is because I chose full medical coverage.

4. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    £195.00 TPFT,125cc,no NCB,Central London.mk.

5. Rockin'EZ

Rockin'EZ Active Member

Rides:
    '08 GY6 150cc
    Damn! Insurance is just legal gambling for licensed companies, and we don't get to play. We just get to pay. In the U.S. a nice 2009 150cc china scoot is worth about $700 to $1000 retail. They are almost disposable. The medical insurance on the other hand is what I paid most for. I could do the legal minimum for $50 U.S. I know you folks have National Health. We don't. If we get hurt, we have to pay the bill over here. This scoot is only worth about $600-$800 U.S.
    [​IMG]

6. Rockin'EZ

Rockin'EZ Active Member

Rides:
    '08 GY6 150cc
    It is clean... They are just not worth that much over here.
    [​IMG]

7. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Gonna tell Swinton to f..k off today,in prep for just having my Piaggio's policy to deal with once a month for 1-2 payments,before I sort out fully.;).

8. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    That was the plan ,anyway - till I got their automated system,whilst on my MOBILE ,at work,so I cancelled the call,before I dropped kicked the phone......... .

9. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

Every review iv ever seen has revealed those jonway madness scooters to be pure shit. Rusting and falling apart after less than a year even those stored inside.

My insurance cost me around £287 for just third party insurance no fire and theft. Very expensive but its due to my area in London.

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  10. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Some insurance companies hate Chinese and charge lots. Insurance quotes have so many variables and if you know the scoring matrix then you can cut costs. They look at risk so your post code has an impact, (you can't change that). Married? You get a reduction, own your house rather than rent, more reduction. Add another experienced rider to your policy, they don't even have to use the bike but it often cuts the cost. Obviously where you park, added security and annual miles make a difference. Owning another vehicle may reduce it further as you prob' won't ask for a courtesy bike. Third party fire and theft is often cheaper than third party only, I don't know why? Play with the answers on the internet forms and see what impact different answers give. My ex wife is on my insurance as it takes my premium down, she doesn't even know! Always be honest with answers in case they check after your crash / theft. Lying deliberately is fraud. Changing answers to fit can work in your favor. I've been separated 7 years but still not signed divorce papers. My insurance is cheaper if I say that I'm married, which I officially am still. Bike in my rear garden actually means that it is kept in a secure, locked private premises. Access to another vehicle? Yes... Local bus. Play the game.

11. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    That was a good read that.!.,for a slightly insurance illiterate like myself....thumbs up,mate.:).mk.

12. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

How do you know they charge more for chinese without cross referencing with another vehicle whos owner has the exact same answers to each question and situation along with the same vehicle and the same company. Doesn't even make sense since a replacement chinese bike is cheap and so are the parts. Theres no logic there what so ever. Did you work for an insurance company? perhaps you could explain that one.

13. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Personally, I can't understand how they work out the prices.
    I've just insured two of my bikes, a 1991 ZZR1100 and a 2003 TDM900.
    The renewal price on the ZZR was £268 (last year was £105), but use a comparison site and it came down to £87.96. Fully Comp, Protected everything, helmet/leathers/NCB, etc.
    The TDM cost £114. Again, fully comp, protected everything, included european cover and accessories for the panniers/topbox/satnav/etc.
    The Suzuki AY50 Katana cost £68.
    I don't live in an affluent area with ultra low crime figures, but i do have security measures, as have some of my neighbours since they saw mine. (I have built and fitted several cctv systems to 4 of the neighbours houses.)
    Some call it a postcode insurance lottery, me, I call it an hour or so spent doing comparison site searches and finding the best price balanced with best cover.
    Yes, you can play with the answers to get reductions, but insurance companies don't like to pay out if they can avoid it, and if they find something after the fact, you're done.

14. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Think ins.on the Vivacity was £265.00,ya b......:).

15. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Hi, I am always amazed by insurance companies prices and the comparison sites are the way to go. I was looking at £250 from one company with the most expensive at £ 850 or so, with no additional benefits that I could see, crazy.
    In relation to my post on Chinese bikes, this was from a friend who works for an insurance company. His company won't cover Chinese scooters full stop. Apparently the company don't trust them to be safe enough and the cheap parts may lead to more chance of accidents. Most companies now insure Chinese bikes as they are improving but often the premiums are higher than equivalent older, more reputable bikes. After an accident the company will look at cost of repairs using original parts and labour cost. If it's more than the value of the bike, write it off. Chinese parts are easier and cheaper to source than in previous years so things are improving and insurance companies are now not so concerned about insuring them.
    It is still a post code lottery. I did nothing more than change my address on a comparison site from Winchester to hackney, cost rocketed. I guess they look at likelihood of theft or busy traffic accidents. I have thankfully only claimed once after a rear ender, I had chosen the cheapest on a comparison site and they were great, sorted me out quickly with no grief.

16. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Found that some companies may not have much in the offering on the original quote,so's they can get your details and get some fekking salesman to ring you up.usually in the middle of the working day,in my case when doing ..... in traffic.;)..

17. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Whatever company you finally choose, remember they make money and you lose money. I just get the cheapest one that gives me the cover I need. Luckily I run cheap bikes and own standard gear so I don't bother with extra's. The bikers who get bitten are those with sweet bikes and top class gear, fully comp insurance is a must then the company stings you for legal protection in case of uninsured loss, breakdown cover , after all who has a mate with a trailer that will secure your beast bike, leather protection and helmet cover....ouch, it soon adds up. On a good year you spend hundreds and get nothing back as you didn't crash, on a bad year you thank your stars that you took out good insurance.

18. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

I'm not sure about trackers, you'd like to think it would reduce the premiums. If it's a cheap bike then chances are the thieves will be local kids who rag your bike and trash it so you'll track down your wreckage. If you have a decent bike, the thieves are usually organized with a trailer, lift it on and ship it up country or abroad. Depending on which tracker you have will depend whether it goes on the national database for police tracker alerts or the specific company who may monitor it. If it's a home monitored tracker such as an iPad app then it may be harder to locate. Police get tracker activations often on their in car camera systems but only designated cars carry the equipment. I know of a gold wing that was stolen from a front yard in Portsmouth, CCTV caught a pickup truck with a full crane lift picking the bike up onto its flatbed and driving away. Located two days later in manchester with different plates. Tracker activation located it. Thieves clearly couldn't find the tracker which they often do. I've known a few stolen vehicles where police track the tracker to a dirty lay by somewhere and find a mass of wires lying on the floor.

19. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

For a 125 I love the bigger super moto style. My neighbor bought a Yamaha yzf, A gorgeous looking sports bike and big for a 125. I personally like the gsr worx, big bike again but different style.

20. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Do your test asap. The 125 range is so popular that the bikes hold value so you can pick up a 400 cc for not a lot more than a 125. The market is odd like that. Full test and big bike, it's the only way. But then the insurance companies really bite newer and younger riders.

Cboya and Mark Emerson Trentham like this.