Insurance cost

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by PKH, Sep 10, 2017.

1. PKH

PKH New Member

Im 16, ive put the value of my scooter at £200 and that it would be kept in a locked garage most of the time, the cheapest quote I got was £417 third party, is there any way I could reduce the cost of this maybe by buying security devices or doing other things?

2. Jenksy

Jenksy Member

Rides:
    Lexmoto Titan
    The best way to reduce the cost I'm afraid is not to crash it, don't get points, and grow old!!! My lad has found his car insurance coming down (he's 30 now). Would be even cheaper if he didn't keep getting caught speeding every 2 or 3 years. I suppose security devices might help but not by that much I'm afraid. A lot depends on post codes as well. Daughter moved from Southampton to Leeds and her insurance doubled! Please ride safely on 2 wheels and make sure you wear decent protection, imagine everyone on the road is out to get you and expect the unexpected! All the best.

3. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Yeah, be old, dont crash, dont speed and live in the "right" postcode...

4. Renllek

Renllek Member

also do a quote for TPFT, i found that my quote for TP only was higher than TPFT.

5. Incpot

Incpot New Member

Hi, you cant beat them!
    I'm even older than Jenksy, have had my bike licence (full) from 1976, been biking for most of those years from my first NSU Quickly (look it up) through Bonnivilles, BMW's Aprilia RST 1000, and recently got my renewal for my last Bonnie, £108,full com, but sold it as I dont need anything as big, contemplating a new Honda vision 110, got so many quotes and the best I can get is Meercats Motorcycle Insurers (Carol Nash) at £94!!!
    I was thinking about £50-60, stggered at £94 wtf!!!
    Thats with 2 yrs NCB, no pionts or accidents EVER!
    A 110cc valued at £2000 against a Bonneville 790 valued at £3000.
    I put down for 4000 miles pa, but found I could go upto 10000 for the same premium.
    CRAZY!!!!
    Nearly as bad a a quote for £70 first service, but that's another story!
    Rip off Britain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Regards
    Terry

6. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

It's because scooters are a high risk, they're nicked very easily, where as bigger bikes aren't, that's what my insurance company told me.

7. Exabyte

Exabyte New Member

Hi mate, 417 is the lowest for lexham (im guessing thats who you got) you would have to pay 500 excess anyway so its best to save the money and go third party. Thats what the literally said i should do on the phone. Hope it helps.