Info on a GY6 152qmi

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by Cyberboy109, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Cyberboy109

Cyberboy109 New Member

Im working on a moped that was from direct bikes a 2014 thing called Tommy 125CC also known as a lexmoto valencia 125CC

The engine tag says BN152QMI but it is just a GY6 152QMI , short style.

I want to get as much info as possible on this engine, is there any thing I should watch out for? the prev owners said it was nocked over when parked and after that the bike struggles to reach 30mph than eventually stopped running than it sat in the garden for two years.

Im in the process of stripping the engine and giving it over haul , replacing the the clutch with a aftermarket one and the same with the variator and belt than throw on a 150cc bore kit , jet the stock carb and add a better exhaust

thanks for any info on this engine really appreciated

Carn likes this.
  2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

not really necessary on that scooter, all that modding.
    if you want a beefier sound, change the pipe, no jetting required.
    as for clutch and vario, again not necessary unless they are worn out.
    The fuel level sender can get a bit dodgy, the standard exhaust rots through within the first 2 years from new, use quality rollers not cheap ones, and a decent belt.
    The carb is a bit sensitive to dirt ingress and the airbox to carb rubber can be a pain in the proverbial.
    The head bearings tend to come loose over time as well, so you'll get a banging on the front.
    Apart from that, which really is just general maintenance to keep on top of, they are decent scooters.
    Decent torque off the line, fairly reliable if looked after.

You can get all the parts you want for that scoot at CMPO

3. Cyberboy109

Cyberboy109 New Member

I’ve taken it apart and clutch is rusted and 2 of the rollers are worn

Stock air box is gone but the inlet for the carb is perfect

There’s damage to the piston and the barrel ...

Looking at the prices I though of getting the 150cc I have a full license and will be doing 100mile plus journeys

4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Is that a round trip or one way?
    Dunno if I'd want to do that on a scooter...............

5. Cyberboy109

Cyberboy109 New Member

One way
    Lochgelly to Aberdeen takingthe back roads than a ferry from Aberdeen to orkeny ...I actually can’t wait

6. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    I'd say, find a better scooter !

7. Cyberboy109

Cyberboy109 New Member

Sadly not option, low income due to being a carer for a family member

But in the plus side I have a lot of mechanic friends and 1 who does lot of metal work...This moped Is getting bobber style treatment...reason I as about the engine is its the one I plan to use at the moment but at a later date will be swapped out for a larger gy6 engine

8. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    Most problems with the GY6 copys are due to not being looked after, cheap chinese rollers, cheap arse oils shoved in them and they are just not looked after valve checks, oil level checks and general care and upkeep , most of the time the airbox is NEVER cleaned out and the foam washed and re oiled so the carbs just get caked in dirt and grime internaly .

cheap oil is just that and its so cheap these days at like £4 a liter folks just chuck that in run it till its kinda dry then top up, the poor motors never get a oil filter check or change and hardly ever get a full oil change either. Fact is most will still have the cheap crap put in from the factory a cheap thick sludge, its best removed and replaced right from the start with a good decent oil .

usual cylinder - piston problems come from being ragged to hell the valves get loose smashed up and injested into the head where it just eats the piston crown. long as you keep ontop with regular valve checks make sure they not sloppy or excessive worn you be fine long as you dont rag the hell outta them they can last a good time for a copy of the honda GY6 motor

9. shane2k

shane2k New Member

i dont really see many chinese anymore on the roads as i think people relise how unreliable they are

10. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

Rubbish, you probably haven't seen many because so many put them away for the winter.

https://www.lexmoto.co.uk/news.php?article=386

As long as you are not a mong and take care of them instead of running them into the ground and blaming the brand then they will last just fine. Although direct bikes are shit and should be avoided like the plague, im surprised they are even still going.

11. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    Lexmoto made by chinese supplyers

theres a lotta bikes made in china , even some well known bike companys have there product made in china and then shipped to europe.

heres the thing , honda gets a chinese company to make there 4t motors, that company making them has to have the honda tooling, and when those tools have been used for an amount of time they are thrown out.
    Now mr wanghungflung has a contact in that company and he gets backhanded a old and used honda tool, be it case molds or the likes he now has the ability to create honda motors BUT, mr wanghungflug is making them outat his little garden shed and using less than great recycled alloy ingots.

this is why some bikes dont last long, poor quality materials used cause them to fracture , cases are somewhat weak and prone to cracking etc etc. so he sells the tools to another company that makes bikes and then they put them to full use and throw out copy parts motors again at a poor qaulity.

Lexmoto send folks ove rto chekc the build proccess and make sure its all to key the motors and bikes meet there given specs and if they aint the company has to rectify it before lexmoto will allow them to be there branded models. its how it is in china.