Inconsistant Performance

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by SimonT, Dec 12, 2006.

1. SimonT

SimonT New Member

Hi Guys....

Ive got the Vespa ET2 50cc.

Basically it is really inconsistant with speed and power.

one day it will be really perky, and the next really sluggish.

I understand that wind etc makes a difference with the 50, but its more than the weather influencing things here.

It seems to run better when under 1/3 of a tank too..... not sure what this means. Its not a weight thing, cause ive carried a heavy backpack when its been running well.....

Any ideas?

2. tweak

tweak Member

Ok could be several things here but remember, you're at the height of your summer at the moment as we are fast approaching the shortest day in the UK here, and when I was there downunder this time last year it was feckin hot!

Engines like coolmoist air and not hot dry air (for far more complicated than necessary to explain reasons :cool: )

So... check the filter for dust/asphyxiation, clean it and filter oil it. That should reset the air/fuel mixture back to default then.

There'll be other ideas shortly from the shackdocs... :nerd:

3. SimonT

SimonT New Member

Thanks man... yep...its getting hot....

Its a fairly mild summer so far.... average around the 30deg c

cleaned the filter 1000kms ago.... i guess its due for another clean.

Although, its always done this.....

i understand about air temp.... my precious ride was a fairly hot 4 cyl turbo (i miss it :( )

4. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    could be the join in the loom where the fuel sender wiring meets the choke assy.. might have a partially frayd wire somwhere causing the choke to come on above 1/3rd fuel.. this is an extreme cause of your problems tho and isnt exactly common so id also have to say its probably heat related.

5. SimonT

SimonT New Member

well....i start the engine swap next friday..... bring on thr 70cc..... should make it run better, especially up hills...

actually, while im on this, is there anything else i need when doing the engine?

Its a Polini kit with gaskets and reeds etc.

The main thing im worried about is carburation. The shop i got it from and the polini instructions say to leave the carburation standard.

At this stage, it will have the standard gearing and drive etc (except for a kevlar belt), and a standard exhaust. These will be upgraded in due course.

6. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    if everything is left std and you fit a 70 there is really no need for upjetting.. could bang in a slightly bigger jet for precaution obviously but its gonna be close enuff to rely on a plug reading anyway. i would sudgest a jet but obviously yours is jetted for your climate (atleast i hope so or its running incredibly rich)

7. SimonT

SimonT New Member

cool sounds good.... once its run in ill check the plug.

so when i upgrade the exhaust and driveline componenets ill need to upjet.?.

8. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

Rides:
    et2 monster
    ill always advise upping the main jet size and mabey altering the idle mix for any kind of modification.. better to be rich and work back down than run lean and KABOOOM