Impounded scooter help

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by sussexlad, Dec 13, 2016.

1. sussexlad

sussexlad Member

Looking for advice right now regarding my brothers Vespa which was impounded yesterday evening

He was driving with an expired CBT license
    (Silly I know )

Anyway cut a long story short he's moped is now in the police pound awaiting recovery

This is where things are confusing

He's unable to collect the bike without a valid CBT which of course costs best part of £100

It's £10 a day storage for the bike Each day it's not collected

I was hoping to collect the bike on he's behalf i have a clean license (and have valid CBT )

The confusion lies with insurance
    I was hoping I could just take out insurance for hes bike show relevant paperwork
    Pay the fine and collect it for him

I understand he's not allowed to sell the bike to me whilst it's been seized but surely as long as I have he's permission (he can come along with me and show relevant I'd and paperwork then I can take drive it away ??

It's just passed it's MOT last week and been well looked after

Does anyone know of what it says on there website is true about the person collecting the bike having to have been insured for 28 days before there above to drive it away ???

Just don't make sense why that would need to be the case ?

As
    Long as I'm insured to drive it and have paid the fine and have he's permission to do so what's the 28 day rule about ?

He's decided to let it go and be crushed but I can't sit back and see it go to waste for the sake of a few hundred pound

Any advise be great on this matter

I know he was a fool for using it without he's valid cbt and he deserves this punishment

I just need some clarification on sussex police rules on why I can't collect it once I have proved I'm insured to drive it away

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post

2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    insurance must be a minimum of 28days that means you cannot get one day insurance just to get the scoot out of the impound yard, you have to show proof of a 30 day insurance policy ( thats my guessing ) i would get bro to add you to policy he holds that way your a named rider and covered so it says by the met webby , i would say its been seizrued in accordance to driving so you wnat the second link i posted. give bro a kick up the Ahole and tell him to get the cbt done and dusted again ;) , do not let a vespa go to the crusher.

reclaiming impounded : http://content.met.police.uk/Article/Reclaiming-an-Impounded-Vehicle/1400009473062/1400009473062

reclaiming seizured : http://content.met.police.uk/Article/Reclaiming-a-Seized-Vehicle/1400028464360/1400028464360

3. sussexlad

sussexlad Member

Thanks for the advice
    Have contacted my brother and he says that he's insurance is now invalid as he broke the policy rules by driving without a valid cbt

My insurance company don't do impounded insurance (seems stupid really )

The bikes worth around £600 (Vespa ET4 around 15 years old )

Bit of a catch 22 situation

Does he fork out £300 getting it back to sell on (that's a guess as not even sure how much the insurance company wants to insure it for a month )

Or does he let it get crushed and start again middle of next year and buy a used bike again ?

Not looking good I'm trying to help out but never realised how much grief it was to get a bike out of custody

Thanks for your advice anyway

4. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    give the CAB a ring in the morning see what they say.

kinda daft letting a 600 quid bike get crushed then fork out for another, he be better off getting the bike back, staying as reg'd keeper and owner and just putting it on sorn till everythings sorted out via courts and likes if it comes to that. atleast he still has the bike.

some insurance companys will do impounded insurance its just phoning round to find one, once your on that ticket you can take bro with you produce relevent documents have him write out and sign a letter stating you can remove bike and its all done. some do and some dont fella thats just insurance companys for you in for a penny pocket the pounds.

WHAT i would do is keep the bike at yours so brother cannot ride it at all inc all documents , if its not with him he will not have that chance to ride it again.
    only when he produces a valid cbt to you and cover insurance do you let him have the scooter back ( tough love the call it ) he should understand as a brother your interest is in him and doing right.

edit extra :

ok whats been happening is people phoning up to get insurance to clear a motor from a impound as soon as they have the motor a chargeback is made to the company and they become out of pocket. the police will tend to phone insurance to see if you decleared that the machine has been impounded and they know about a possible conviction etc etc( to be safe on the law side covering them ) and you did not obtain the insurance fruadlenty by not telling them everything.

most insurance companys dont wanna do impound insurance becasue of this switchback charging, if they do impound insurance its normaly not done via debit/credit card, they give you the full sort code and account number to thier account and its paid in full so you cannot get the money back ie swindle them just to get your motor back.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016