Imported Peugeot Speedfight 2 2001

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by Mpoakley, Jul 15, 2021.

1. Mpoakley

Mpoakley New Member

Hi,

I have recently purchased the below bike which has been imported from Germany and I am trying to get registered here in the UK.

I’m trying to obtain either the original non-UK registration certificate or at least proof of date of manufacture in order for DVLA to issue registration. Everything else like the NOVA etc etc is complete.

-Peugeot SPEEDFIGHT 2 50cc moped
    -Blue and silver
    -Vin/ chassis number: VGAS1B0KB00026804
    -Engine number: 12272937 FL1
    -German plate: 174 KNO

Has anyone been through this process before?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
    Matt

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Copy of the German registration papers from the previous owners?
    Failing that you will have to go through the owners club to get a dating certificate, which costs a lot.
    OR, buy a wrecked (but not written off) UK registered one, with the V5 and number plate, swap all the good parts onto the UK frame, then scrap the german frame.

DVLA are not bothered about engine number changes, they know engines get changed a lot, it's the frame numbers they have questions about.
    You will probably have to go through the first registration process which costs £55, plus the road tax fee, £20, plus provide proof of insurance in order for it to be taxed, and even then they might delay the registration and ask you to take it for an MSVA inspection at one of their own registered sites, which will cost you £85 plus your time to get there and back plus any time lost off work to do it. And unless you live local to one of those sites it can be a jaunt so lets hope you have a van or trailer.......

Strangely enough, I have a speedfight frame here in my workshop that I bought as a job lot of 3 scooters. I have no paperwork or number plate for it, but I've no reason to think it's not legit.

3. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

If you need to insure it before DVLA will register it, you may have another problem with it being an import.
    You can insure it on the vin number, but there are only maybe 3 insurers who will do that, and it costs more than it normally would if you were to insure it "normally".
    For instance, if it was already a UK bike, the insurance would be £100 say.
    But because it's an import with no UK reg number and you want to insure it on the vin number for the registration process alone, it will rocket to £160+.
    And it won't come down after you get the UK reg number either.......and they'll probably charge you another £35 admin fee to change the policy with the new reg number to boot!!!!

It's a complete ball ache

4. Mpoakley

Mpoakley New Member

Thanks for the replies.

I've tried the owners clubs already, they can't help because Peugeot haven't owned Peugeot scooters for years apparently?

I won't be changing any frames etc as I want to keep it completely standard as it is, plus I can't be bothered with all of the work anyway.

With regards to insurance, they won't issue that until I have a registration plate so that's something I don't even need to think about for a minute. (DVLA don't require it for registration, only MOT cert which I have)

Its ridiculous that I may need to get it on a Q plate even though it's a completely standard scooter from the factory! Looks like that's going to be the next step though, as DVLA have rejected my both attempts to get it registered.

I don't have previous owner contacts.