Idea Behind Porting.

Discussion in 'General Tuning' started by Carternator, May 18, 2007.

1. Carternator

Carternator New Member

What is the general idea behind porting work, from what i understand (MAY BE TOTALLY WRONG OR MAY BE RIGHT BUT FROM WHAT I CAN GATHER)..is that it is the increase the compression in your engine.

Please can someone give me maybe links to articles and such on the 'theory behind porting' or even just head me in the right direction on the general idea behind it. Also if its worth doing on anything below a 125cc, and the different areas of the engine/bike that can be ported.

Cheers, as always any help is greatly appriciated!

2. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    most porting lowers primary compression. its a verry comp[licated post to answer and i could sit here typing for hours. get down the library and read a couple 2 stroke tuning books as all the principles and theory behind port work is there.

port work actually refers to changes in the ports inside the barrel, noting else. any other work is considderd blueprinting/matching/flowing

3. skatergod

skatergod New Member

would it be worth porting (the barrel) on any bike under 125cc.... like porting a 50cc....would it be just as fast as a 70cc???and as reliable??

4. wobbly_trials

wobbly_trials Active Member

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    in theory you can port it to be as fast as a 70 but as withn any tuning, reliability becomes an issue, best to start with a 70 and port.

5. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    yep, cheaper and easier to just get a 70.. ive ported a few 50's to 70 speed tho. does take a few hours mind

6. Carternator

Carternator New Member

Ive looked around the net and found alot if detailed info on the subject, thanks for the responses!, personally though id leave doing anything like this for a few years, in the mean time i would just get a professional to do it! or someone who knows there shit i.e. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn!

7. Stennett

Stennett New Member

Rides:
    Drive a 106 :(
    would it be worth while getting my malossi sport 70 kit ported will it make it faster? will there be a big relaibity differnce? and IS it expensive?

8. wobbly_trials

wobbly_trials Active Member

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    yes it would be worth doing, reliability would be affected and it depends who does the work.

light porting can improve throttle response and have no side effects in the reliability area.