Hyosung Prima Over the top mods

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by RAW2y, Nov 8, 2008.

1. RAW2y

RAW2y New Member

After looking around along with a few forums I have found another forum with people who look like they need to see a new Scoot mods done to a Hyosung Prima.

[​IMG]

Here is my scoot the day I purchased it off Craigs list for $600.00.All due to the ignition was worn out the scoot had 3500k on it and with a new ignition and the normal restrictions removed i was on the way.

Loved my scoot till i go the upgrade bug, and been going at it ever since.

Here is my blog not all loaded yet as I limited on time but will get it going.

I have spent over $3000.00 on my scoot and mods to date with the most improvment done to the Malossi front end.

Started with a stock 2005 Prima.
    Installed a Airsal 70cc kit (WRONG do not go there) pulled it after 20 minutes running and now installed a Malossi 70cc kit and also a 21mm carb.
    The killer thing on our scooters is the intake.It is so small modifications to the engine are almost a waste of money.
    The intake is smaller than the factory carb with a lot and I do mean a lot of restriction.

On scooterattack under one of these scooters you will see the Intake that is needed.
    Well these intakes are out of stock so I am having one made.

As well the complete ignition and charging system will be all high output as well.
    Now on to the front.
    Front forks lasted 6000k and that was it.So replace it.
    So in went a new Malossi set of front forks with a few modifications they will be in today.
    OK now onto the Exhaust.
    Got the Technigas installed on the 50cc great increase for the money but will not work with the new mods.
    So ordered from scooterattack a Yasuni R exhaust, to arrive anyday

Then in will go a set of gears which will go in after the ride is in the tuning stages.

The intake on all Hyosung scooters 50cc are very small runners in the intake.
    [​IMG]

I had a scooter shop do some mods which all turned out very bad in the end but I got the scoot back.

For those who do not know of the Hyosung Forum here it is and I have my posts all over the forum

[​IMG]

More picts to come

2. RAW2y

RAW2y New Member

So i ordered some parts from scooterattack and the ball is rolling
    -Yasuni R exhaust
    -Fly Clutch
    -weights ranging from 3g to 7g
    -Doppler intake
    -21mm carb to replace my new 19mm Arreche (ordered from MPH used 2 days)
    -New CDI high out put
    -New igintion
    -New Front Malossi front fork See below the factory front fork and the new Malossi(also custom machined to fit)
    -Yasuni R exhaust
    -Hebo Variator
    -CUSTOM made intake to replace the straw factory intakeI will post pictures once i get the scooter
    -Polini gears
    -Fly Clutch
    -Torque sping (purchased 8 and got the correct ones final)

order number 3 from scooter attack to my door from Germany takes 3-4 days at the most.
    [​IMG]
    Just to name a few.
    other parts i got

-Polini gears
    -Polini high compression head

The front forks were toast.With only 6200 k on them the look says it all.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well I ordered a NEW Yasuni R exhaust as the Malossi cylinder kit we picked also was selected for altered timing and was not a bolt on.So that 70cc kit was sent to a machine shop for the outer coller of the cylinder to be machined down to fit into the block.

So the Technigas R exhaust only weeks old
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

was removed as well and the Yasuni R (for a Katan) was ordered with several other parts from scooter attack in Germany and sweet parts arrive here in Surrey BC close to Vancouver in 3-4 day.I have ordered from them several times and all orders are here in 4 days at the latest.

[​IMG]

3. RAW2y

RAW2y New Member

Custom bracket was made as well the exhaust was cut and modified to fit as it was ordered for a Katana so it was not direct bolt on.

A custom made intake which has been mentioned above one of the limitations of the Hyosung 50cc stock.

[​IMG]

First custom made intake was above.

But I am making a few new ones with the help of a water jet.

[​IMG]

4. RAW2y

RAW2y New Member

[​IMG]

Bitubo rear shock was added

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Torque Driver Polini Speed Drive ordered from scooter attack with several other parts.

Well worth the money but not a easy install.
    There is a coller over the speed drive to keep the dust out and grease clean.We had to use a chisel work our way around the piece till it came off.

But this piece alone made the response of the mid power silky smooth.

Polini Part #244.560

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. RAW2y

RAW2y New Member

After ordering a 107mm clutch from scooter attack to find out the clutch was larger I ordered a 112mm from scooter center.
    Only to find out the motorforce I ordered as well which was 110mm was the one to fit.

I was told 107mm fit by CLsmooth who had done a Parma clutch.
    Well mine used a 110mm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. RAW2y

RAW2y New Member

7. MiNoR cOnFuSiOn

MiNoR cOnFuSiOn Administrator Staff Member

Rides:
    et2 monster
    WOW now that is diff :D get some pics of the whole bike.. interested to see what it looks like now LOL

8. stuart2k7

stuart2k7 New Member

Rides:
    Dragster 172
    Nice to see how much effort you've put into it! Good luck with your project mate. :D

9. RAW2y

RAW2y New Member

Thanks for the input.Yes more pictures coming.As I had it all loaded on the Hyosung forum i am reloading some of the info here.But will keep it up to date once i get them loaded.

[​IMG]

For all those with scooters this horn is well worth every penny.Yes by the time you get it here just call it around $45.00 for a HORN.

I will say a piece of cake to install.
    Remove the old chirp horn , which is normally held on with one bolt.And disconnect the 2 wires.
    Mount the new horn (mine I had to drill the hole in the bracket larger) easy.
    Connect the 2 wires again.

DONE !!
    All 136db of the horn makes the little toot of the factory horn just a joke.

[​IMG]

Purchased mine from here.

http://www.scooterworks.com/Horn_St...erID=3001752&jsessionid=6030770b13c00$9C$F6$0

10. RAW2y

RAW2y New Member

Dunlop TT-91 new tires

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I went with these as i ordered 8 sets of gears primary and seconday for Suzuki scooters and not one set fit.
    Well if those who have been following my scoot mods or have not .I am not one who takes no for a answer!!

With over $500.00 in money I have spent just on trying gears to fit the Hyosung today we spent 5 hours compairing them and looking at what we will order next.I will get gears !!!

These do not fit
    -Param kit
    54500.15 13/39 secondary
    -Malossi
    677149 14/43 Primary
    -Malossi
    679433 15/40 Primary
    -Polini
    202.1332 14/40 secondary

11. RAW2y

RAW2y New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes I have stopped!!
    With over $900.00 in gears sitting here that DO NOT FIT. I stopped looking for gears for the Prima.

Tried to sell them on Ebay and no luck at all, not one set sold

12. RAW2y

RAW2y New Member

Well going into lighting on our scooters as everyone will agree it is bad to none depending on your scoot.

During most of the year i ride my scoot at 11pm so lighting is a issue for me as well is being visable as possible.Next the upgrades I have going.

First off the battery.OK sit down.I mean it. How about $145.00 CND for the battery.Now before you jump up and down yelling Wally has them for $35.00.
    I have a little info for you.

After pruchasing a battery from Wally Mart for the low dollar price why not.So I had to cut open the sides of my battery box for the larger battery and get it to fit.Done next ready the battery.Add the ACID and put it on a trickle charge.Have lunch.Well walk away sit down 5 minutes later threw the vent the battery blew out almost 1/4 of the ACID of coause as i walked by all over my legs. Shocked Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad wereing shorts I can say it hurt just a little.

So much for cheap, I never want to do things twice so off to get a better battery to a few bike shops.
    After 2 stops I was recommended this battery YTZ7S
    http://www.yuasa.com.au/files/All_PDFs/ ... ochure.pdf
    $142.00 CND plus taxes

So came home looked online for reviews and nothing but praise as the bike shop said i would find.

Now there is knock offs evry spot I looked labled same part number STAY AWAY they are not sealed just like the WALLY Mart battery.And specs plus build quality is not the same.

[​IMG]

OK the battery drops into our factory location no issue at all near the same size if not the same size.No cutting modifing the case as i did for the the CHEAP battery.

Now I will have enough juice to pull up to a stop sit and my head light does not dimn at all.

Now the light bulb.

[​IMG]

Headlightbulb Socket BA20D

35W super white halogen bulb with BA20D base. The glass is blueish so as to absorb the entire yellow spectrum of light, this way providing a very bright and cold white light like the one emitted by a Xenon lamp
    These bulbs are far brighter than the 35-35 or 45watt bulb.Worth the money, but with my new battery I am going to put a 65watt bulb in.

If I get you right you want to run low beam all the time and be able to add on the high beam to that with a switch, I would think that it would shorten the life of the bulb since it will run real hot and also the generator might not be able to give it the current to go all the way, instead get a 35/35W halogen (used in Enduro bikes) and wire it like it should be done and you'll have more than enogh light for those dark Dutch nights....

The bulb on the left is a "regular" double-filament (that's used in the USA light) and the one on the right is a Halogen that fits the "regular" socket, although these are not E-certified and not 100% legal to run I don't think it's a major problem. These bulbs are often used in Enduro bikes since they handle vibration much better and with the small lights on those you want as much light as possible....

[​IMG]

Now next upgrades I did
    But mine are carbon not black like the photo but i did get them from scooterattack.

[​IMG]

Simple to install just remove the factory rear turn lights you will need a philips screw driver and a 8mm wrnch.
    Unplug the wiring on each side of the area reachable by removing the battery cover and just lifting up the battery.

I made perminant connections with connectors and heat shrink to the wires.

Then I added a few LED bulbs but again they are not equal and i by far have not tested them but these were available local and are bright.

http://www.ledshoponline.com/automotive_leds.htm
    http://www.project-r.co.uk/bulbs_and_flashers.htm

There is a lot available but these ones are the ones i used below

http://files.thehoffmangroup.com/img/sl ... ashers.jpg
    A must for LED lights to change the flasher again just a few screws to remove the front cover and unplug the old and plug in the new one with adding a ground wire.
    This one you can adjust the flash as well as modes. Nice touch

[​IMG]

These were the bulbs they also carried and as well just replaced no the factory front 1156 with these plus the rear tail light as well all with clear.

Now I can be seen!!

Last i ordered these.
    Well found these as well so I got a reply from this company with a PayPal invoice as I asked for so I ordered a few.I will let you know how they work out.
    BA20d Bosch type Halogen replacement bulbs
    [​IMG]

They arrived
    [​IMG]

left to right
    45/45
    35/35
    Bosch 60/55

At present have the halogen 35 watt bulb in which is easy over 3 times brighter then stock.

I tried the 35 then the 45 now the 35 halogen but I just had these Bosch 60/55 arrive I ordered from overseas as well.Only one spot I found them.

I have a different battery so not sure how the charging system will take it on a stock scoot

13. RAW2y

RAW2y New Member

[​IMG]

Current stabilizer look around they range from $60.00 to 125.00

How it will work with my high out put battery and new 65/60 head light I will find out.

14. RAW2y

RAW2y New Member

A few picts of the new Malossi front end and Malossi brakes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This new front forks was a lot of work and had a machine shop weld the new forks onto the factory shaft.

[​IMG]

Adjustable is sure nice i tell you.

15. RAW2y

RAW2y New Member

[​IMG]

New gauges installed over the factory location

16. RAW2y

RAW2y New Member

[​IMG]

Custom bracket made for the Yasuni R exhaust.This photo was taken before the exhaust was ceramic coated.We use ceramic coated headers on our race car so why not on the scoot.
    Dropped off the main pipe and should have it by next Tuesday.I took a picture of the pipe before it went into the shop via my cell so I will take another picture when I pick it up and post them both.The shop just finished another scoot pipe and i just missed it. Regular cost $125.00 for the average person.

As the company knows me i got it done for $40.00 best money I can spend to protcet the exhaust from rust.As well will run a lot cooler as well.

17. RAW2y

RAW2y New Member

[​IMG]

Hebo and factory on the right.
    The Hebo I used was #5050110n.This fits the Hyosung Primas.
    Hebo #5050110n variator this variator comes with 3 sets of weights included (4,10 gr) (4,90gr) (5,50gr)

First off if you have not removed the restriction washer in the variator this is a simple adjustent.What this does is limit how high up the belt goes on the variator which means lowers the speed of the scooter in simple terms.If you pull the front plate off remove the washer and assemble the scoot back together you will get another 5k on the top end easy.Just with your stock variator without changing the weights.

Now to replace the factory i have attached a few other links showing the process really this is all over Ytube has over 30 different videos showing how to.

Really easy.Remove the kick start peg 1 bolt
    remove the cover bolts (mark were the medium bolts go as well as the long bolt in the center.
    remove the retaining clip with a screw driver, this holds on a washer
    remove the nut REVERSE THREAD!!!!!! so set your air gun to RIGHT hand rotation
    remove the front plate then the washer.(if you stop here with no install of a new variator reassemble just reverse.
    when you tighten the nut set the air gun or electric gun to LEFT hand rotation!!!! this is a MUST to remember.
    Now for a new variator install.
    remove the variator if you did not assemble as above.Due to the factory variator being bolted together it comes out easy.
    Now select your roller weights to start at With a stock 50cc and Technigas I would start at 5g or in that range
    Now putting in the Hebo or any other non factory variator they are not bolted together so you have to hold it together as you put in on the crankshaft.This may take several times not to worry just put it together and do it it again.
    Now reassmble the pieces just reverse.

Below is a good how to video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyb9NyR-Sjs

Now the best for tuning to not put the cover on !! YES becarefull but tighted the nut and take it for a test ride.
    Now if you have to change the weights again (which the chance is are 99% ) you can remove the nut and do the process simple.
    Do this over and over till you get it set.

My method without the cover is safe just keep your feet out of it.SAFETY IS YOUR RESPONSIBLITY NOT MINE!

With the above weights plus the Hebo kit you have many ratios.
    For ex. if you have 3 6gr rollers and 3 4gr rollers you would alternate each one. 6, 4, 6, 4, 6, 4 to find out which weights you need as a final take the weight of all six rollers devide that by 6 and this is your roller weight to put in for final.Myself I perfer all the same weight all the way around once finished.

The best how to I have found is below.

http://www.beedspeed.com/html-pages/How ... eights.htm

Other modifications can be done as well and with one change on a scoot you effect the other.
    If you want to change the contra spring do that first then tune the rollers.

18. kyle1b1

kyle1b1 New Member

very nice :cool:

looking good

19. Jefr0-180

Jefr0-180 Active Member

Good read. Keep it up mate. You not going to go down to the frame and give that a good clean up? Getting all these parts but the frame lets it down a bit. I'd hate to go through what you have with all these wrong parts but fair play for sticking at it.

20. alperin

alperin Active Member

Rides:
    aerox 180cc
    nice project going on here dnt give up