How to remove rear wheel

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by ihatescooters, Dec 13, 2010.

1. ihatescooters

ihatescooters New Member

I know it sounds simple, but I need to remove the rear wheel from my brother's misses scooter (Piaggio Liberty 125). Does anyone have any step by step instructions on doing this as I don't think they're as straight forward as a conventional motorbike wheel due to the weird drive system on peds....

Any help is much appreciated.

2. tErr0

tErr0 Administrator Staff Member

The best thing to do is to buy a Haynes manual for Piaggio scooters as it gives you step by step instructions for pretty much everything you could ever want to do.

http://www.haynes.co.uk/webapp/wcs/...10001&storeId=10001&productId=24851&langId=-1

Removing the rear wheel on a Liberty involves first removing the exhaust then loosening off the rear brake (as it's rear drum) and then removing a cover, split pin and castle nut before you can get to remove the large nut that holds the rear wheel on which is done using an impact gun.

A slightly more bodge way to remove the rear wheel is not to loosen the rear brake off until you have removed the nut so you can hold the rear brake and use some sort of leverage on a ratchet to undo the nut.

3. ihatescooters

ihatescooters New Member

Son of a bitch, why must scooters be so hard to work on :)

I think I'll approach it the bodge way... I'm not buying a manual for this bike as it isn't mine, but I will suggest to my bro's missesususususus that she buy one as they are a god send! I usually have a habit of buying one for every vehicle I have owned, it's just common sense like innit, yeah, yeah, yeah!