How to change rollers & drivebelt on a Gilera Runner 200VXR

Discussion in 'Scooter Guides' started by monty9120, Jun 6, 2009.

1. monty9120

monty9120 Active Member

Rides:
    Vespa gts300
    :mrgreen: As i like to give any scoot i buy a good checkover i decided to take a few piccies while i did it to hopefully help people

First things first. you need to be prepared so make sure you have all the right equipment

Bits needed
    18mm socket
    19mm socket
    clutch holding tool
    variator holding tool
    8mm socket
    extension bar
    possibly 2 rachets. 1 for the 8mm socket and one for the bigger sockets
    gloves
    tub of copper slip
    screwdriver (philips)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Firstly, take the cover off that covers the clutch nut, then insert the clutch holding tool.
    Like this
    [​IMG]

-Take the 19mm nut off with a rachet

-Unscrew the air box bolts and take the front off. and undo the black plastic thing to the left of the tranny case.
    Next take off all the 8mm bolts holding the tranny case on. there is a dowel in the bottom right corner so you may need to lever the case off with a flat screwdriver.
    [​IMG]

-Once you do this take the oil dipstick out and take the tranny case off.
    You should now be at this stage

[​IMG]

Insert the variator holding tool. bolting it up with one of the 8mm bolts for the tranny case making sure the teeth line up so it doesnt slip.
    [​IMG]

Undo the variator nut with the 18mm socket and rachet.
    [​IMG]

Take the variator and clutch off. be careful for runaway rollers and sliders :rofl:
    This is the stage you should be at
    [​IMG]

Check the roller in the middle spins freely. does not have any notches and check the outside has no scores and its smooth. if any of these problems replace the roller :mrgreen:

Next up, clean the clutch out with some compressed air. get a sheet of sand paper and sand all the clutch shoes up so they are all rough. if the clutch drum is scored replace it or if the clutch pads are getting low
    [​IMG]

Use a degreser on the engine casings, and use compressed air to clean it all off to get the inside of the casings looking nice and get rid of all the belt dust

Next is the variator. replace the rollers and the slides on the backplate. check the front of the variator face for any ridges or marks. you can clean it up with a degreaser if you wish. if its scored or ridged replace it.
    Clean out the inside of the variator and blow out with compressed air
    [​IMG]

Put the variator back on. make sure you hold the backplate to make sure the rollers do not fall out
    [​IMG]

Next is the tricky bit for some people. getting the drivebelt right down into the clutch. grab the front of the pulley and twist to your right and put the belt as far in as possible
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Put the clutch on. note the slack on the variator end so the variator does not tighten against the belt
    Put the washer on that goes on the back of the front pulley

[​IMG]

Now put the front pulley on and then the outer pulley. there is a marking on each pulley these need to line up (poor pic sorry)
    [​IMG]

Insert the variator locking tool and slowly do up the variator nut until everything is together. make sure the belt is not trapped behind the variator
    Add a tiny bit of loctite on the crank and torque the variator nut up between 73-85nm.
    Put the olie washer on the front of the clutch

This is the stage we should be at
    [​IMG]

Undo the oil dipstick and refit the transmission case. before you do check the tranny case bearing for any play or notchyness. if so replace it.

Put the washer on the clutch shaft on the OUTSIDE of the tranny case
    [​IMG]

Add a little loctite. insert the clutch holding tool and do the clutch nut up. doesnt need to be super tight.

Next get all the 8mm bolts and copper slip them. this will ease taking them off at another time. otherwise they can seize in the casings
    [​IMG]

Do all the 8mm bolts up make sure the brake line and the engine earth is bolted up properly

Next refit the little bit of plastic next to the airbox. copper slip all bolts.
    [​IMG]

Now all there is to do is refit the front of the airbox. either put the air filter in a 50 50 mix of petrol and oil to clean it or replace with a new one
    [​IMG]

2. Jefr0-180

Jefr0-180 Active Member

Nice one Mr Monty, would of been good to have order of parts laid out in order but if you go through all of it you'll be able to tell.

3. monty9120

monty9120 Active Member

Rides:
    Vespa gts300
    Unfortunately it would be millions of pages. and i never lay them out when im doing it anyway :cool:

4. kcnw9

kcnw9 Member

Thanks for the guide.

How do I take the clutch bell off tho?

5. monty9120

monty9120 Active Member

Rides:
    Vespa gts300
    take the clutch nut off all the 8mm tranny case bolts take the cover off and the clutch bell will come off

6. Sh0x

Sh0x New Member

Nice guide, Im sure it will help others.

Do you know what the rolling thing inbetween vari & clutch is called? Whats its purpose? Does it aid the belt as it gets tighter? Mines filthy!

7. monty9120

monty9120 Active Member

Rides:
    Vespa gts300
    its a roller bush. make sure it has no grooves in it. the belt runs on it to stop belt slap and destroying the belt

any cleaner will do for it. even compressed air on its own should be ok

8. nellyt5

nellyt5 Member

thanks monty for taking the time to post that with pics too
    its helped me out no end being a scooter newbie
    just need an idiots guide to stop my lads vx125 from flooding now
    :confused:

9. Tommythegun

Tommythegun Member

Hey guys sorry i know its an old post, the big roller in the middle between the clutch and variator, what is that called? Or do you know where i can find one? Many thanks

10. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

It's called a roller bush, stops the belt slap