How much play is acceptable from swingarm

Discussion in 'Maxiscooter Tuning' started by Scouser, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Scouser

Scouser Member

Rides:
    Aprilia SR125
    I was going round the bike the other day making sure nothing was working it's way loose when I noticed the rear swingarm seemed to have more play than before. I have changed the rear wheel in the past and checked the play then but it was not as much as there is now.
    I would estimate there is between 2 and three mm of movement. Is this acceptable?
    Cheers, Jon.

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  2. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    If in doubt,personally...fix it.

3. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Any perceptible play in the swing arm means the bearings are gone + = mot fail

4. Scouser

Scouser Member

Rides:
    Aprilia SR125
    Thanks boys, getting it sorted.

5. 2many2strokes

2many2strokes suck squeeze bang blow thats the way i like to go!

Rides:
    zzr1400
    i would have thought the swing arm sat in bushes not bearings, allowing for a small amount of play:confused:

6. Kev Clark

Kev Clark Member

Rides:
    Lexmoto Zoom 2 125
    Did you get it sorted Jon? I'm also a scouser so if you need any help mate if be glad to. Based in Walton

7. Scouser

Scouser Member

Rides:
    Aprilia SR125
    Hi mate nice to see a fellow scouser on the boards. Went to Rocket Motorcycle Training where I did my CBT as they also do servicing there. They had a quick mooch about and said it didn't look excessive and there was nothing to worry about. I have carried on checking the bolts and making sure everything is tight and it seems to be alright.
    The previous owner had done a complete rebuild on it so I guess i am doing the shakedown and finding all the bits he missed!!
    From Woolton myself, thanks for the offer of assistance. I am picking things up but it's nice to know there is a helping hand when I get out of my depth!! (which I am sure I will)

8. Kev Clark

Kev Clark Member

Rides:
    Lexmoto Zoom 2 125
    Glad it's all ok mate, yeah you'll find that your always doing something or other to your bike. It's part of it tho I suppose. Don't know much but been at it over 12 months and had to replace almost everything on my old scooter. ( which I've now sold) but if you ever get stuck mate and I can help I will do. Take care fella

Scouser likes this.