How long will a well looked after 125cc Yamaha last milage wise?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Noob12, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Noob12

Noob12 New Member

Hey all I have a question!

Firstly I am new so be kind

Abit of backstory sorry to bore. I bought my new scooter less than 6 months ago It got stolen! And since then I have gotten another one! I paid £1,500 for a second hand well maintained 125cc Yamaha It had 17k miles on the clock. (Abit expensive I know but I needed a scooter at the time).

It's on about 18.4k miles now and I am planning on getting a car this next autumn before the end of 2020. If It's coming up summer I can save a fortune using a scooter! I only need a car really In bad weather If I can make through this spring summer should be no problem! And It allows me to save money In the meantime. Saving up towards my car.

My job, I took the first one I could get after I got laid off from my old place off work It's over 20 miles away I needed a job at the time that's why I took It. Now I know It's abit far but I get a lift every second week anyways so that saves me alot of miles on the my clock anyway. I'm doing about 50% less than miles than I would If I used my bike all the time.

My only question Is I read a half decent 50cc that's well maintained can last atleast 25/30k miles easy without any major problems. What can a Yamaha Xenter 125cc that's 3 years old do?

I can Imagine I should be able to hit another 5-10k miles before any major problems happen as It's only on 18.4k now.

And I only use my scooter for work aswell. I also have friends who are mechanics and can help me maintain my scooter on the weekends.

So my question Is can a well maintained 3 year old Yamaha 125cc go for years without major problems? I'm planning on getting a car when the insurance runs out or my CBT runs out which will be atleast 1 year from now or slightly more.

What are my chances of scooter Iasting more than a year?

2. milo2025

milo2025 Trip to Trumpton

Greetings Noob and welcome to the forum.
    As long as it's well looked after it should last for years. It's a Yamaha after all.
    If you're asking for a definitive answer in terms of actual mileage that's harder to predict, as is how long is a piece of string.
    But it should give you many years of reliable, pleasurable service. There are many vintage yams still going strong, in Asian countries in particular. And the majority of those are serviced by their owners on a shoestring budget.
    You often see whole families traveling on them. And lots of the roads out there have more holes than emmental cheese.
    Scooter reviews are pretty short and sweet these days. Here's what one independent journalist wrote -

"The Xenter is a professional scooter.
    Push the button it starts. Twist the throttle. Do your stuff. Turn off the key it rests...
    Then repeat...
    Every single day.
    Every single week.
    For years and years and years."

Same could be said for lots of scooters these days. Reminds me of my misspent years as a youth - eat, sleep, rave, repeat. :D

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  3. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Maintenance matters most.
    If you do the service stuff, clean it etc etc, it will last forever.
    I've seen a Honda SFX 50 do like 100k on the original cylinder.
    The thing you need to know is bikes are made cheaper now compared to about 20 years ago, however the technology has come a long way.
    So you may find the bulbs are cheap Chinese crap and the terminals rust, but the ignition coil could for instance be completely submerged under water and be fine compared to stuff from like the 70s.
    If you follow my chain of thoughts...
    Also remember that the switches are not maintenance free, you need to spray wd40 or the likes in there a few times a year.

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  4. Rickard Pingol

Rickard Pingol Active Member

Regarding mantainence, if you can find the workshop manual for your model. Usally youll have a list whith, what part and when to check or replace certain parts. Just follow that and you should be good.

5. Noob12

Noob12 New Member

Yeah I have the manual at arms length. Cheers bro.

6. John simmo

John simmo New Member

We have 125s in work there changed every 4 yrs they are maintained every month service last one,s were on 175,000 Miles and still going strong on same engines

7. Shunty

Shunty Member

Rides:
    Baotian BT49QT-9
    I agree with all here
    Keep up with maintenance and it will last a long time
    I have a car but this winter gone I used my scoot
    Just need waterproofs, warm clothing, mitts on handlebars and heated grips and a scarf to protect your neck as cold air always goes down there.

8. Noob12

Noob12 New Member

Hey dude I know It's been awhile just need a opinion.

If I get my bike throughly checked up (by professional Yamaha dealership/Garage) and get a M.O.T every year that Is good maintenance yes? That will keep it In good shape Am I right?