How do I re restrict a 50cc MBK Ovetto/Yamaha Neos???

Discussion in 'Newbie Scooter Tuning' started by BADGER, Mar 23, 2013.

1. BADGER

BADGER Member

A very strange question I know ! I'm new to scooters having spent 27 years with bikes but have brought a Scooter/Ped for my lad which I have ridden around and think is great, at the moment it will do 50mph (as a clock speed) I wish to re restrict the top speed to moped speeds as my lad will take it too far ( killing it or himself) and I myself cannot afford to run into insurance issues being a HGV driver I would lose everything. All I know about the scoot is the fact it has had the rollers changed has a standard type exhaust. I'm guessing the speed restriction is normally done by the cdi not letting the bike rev beyond a certain RPM as I've seen unrestricted CDI's mentioned on ebay.
    I've had a look on the net but cannot find any details on how this bike is de-restricted in order to do the reverse.

Any help much appreciated.

2. Scooter-Noob

Scooter-Noob God among idiots

Rides:
    AEROX in box's :-D
  3. Scooter-Noob

Rides:
    all so that parts list is for 2001 to 2006 if you need a different year let me know

4. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Check cylinder capacity (big bore),carburettor size and or jets,exhaust (may have original restrictors removed even if std.)
    some mod.by gear up kits in engine as well.
    Good starting point would be manual to compare original specs.
    Hope it helps start you off.

5. BADGER

BADGER Member

Thanks everyone, So I'm guessing from what you have said most scooters are restricted speedwise mechanically ( never had any dealings with CVT gearbox's before)

6. Scooter-Noob

Rides:
  7. BADGER

BADGER Member

Thanks, I hadn't realized when looking for a vid that all scoots where the same

8. BADGER

BADGER Member

PS, That should work as It's a 2002 Scoot

9. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member

Rides:
    EXUP1000
    leave it derestricted..its far safer for your lad to be able to keep up with traffic flow..

I too had similar issues with my sons ZIP when he was 16 and it played on my mind the fact that its unrestricted. His first ride was a speedfight 50 that had been unrestricted but the previous owner took it to a shop to set it up....they didnt know what they were diong and at times it was damn right dangerous not being able to pull away fast enough etc. At one point following him up a steep hill, he had to actually get off it and push it with the engine still going as the power wasnt strong enough to take him and the bike

Leave it as is....honest, its far safer when out there. You say you're HGV. How many times do you overtake a ped doing 30 in the gutter. When something that size goes by as an inexperienced rider its terrifying! Give your lad a chance and if you're bothered about him going OTT, follow him and give him some pointers

just my penneth worth of course..its your choice

10. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    I'd agree with mr.stig 100%.sound advice to a tee on keeping de-res.esp.with a seemingly sensible father keeping pegs on.
    My own experience riding re-stricted was manageable due to long time otr-though it did have it's monents; and that extra bit
    of power would have been handy if not positively life defining neccesary.
    Don't mean to throw a spanner into the works by any means mate,but have you weighed up the chance of getting caught (it's always a 59/50 chance day/night)-(the implications could be massive!)+possible effects on you (*not aware if on your ins.)
    Running some serious sympathy pains for you/not a sitch i'd wanna have to deal with......how do you weigh up the cost of doing the right thing and face getting persecuted for it.
    In an ideal world if course those idiots would'nt blanket these laws across everyone,because we are not! all the same.hope i did'nt ramble on too much

11. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member

Rides:
    EXUP1000
    The chance of getting caught are almost zero. most cops dont know what a std 50 even sounds like. Alright, if you rip past one doing 45-50 they might have their suspicions its not quite what its made out to be. But to prove it they'd have to take it apart which they're not allowed to do and then if they did its not worth all the agro and paperwork to achieve what? Coppers have bigger fish to fry and targets/priorities to meet...like sorting out ASB and speedtraps outside the local school.

My son used to argue a similar point when he wanted to fit a 70 kit and all the trimmings.AND HE WAS RIGHT (but dont tell him that!) His '50' will now do 70mph and wheelie off the throttle. Local plod have seen him knocking about and even had a chat to him about how NIPPY it is. They probably KNOW its far from standard but as long as you're not doing anything stupid or endangering lives they dont give a toss...hell some of them have even been there and done it themselves. One of my mates who went to be a patrol copper in a T5 was one of the worst out there before he signed up for the force....even that didnt slow him down whilst out with the lads on our early sunday blasts

Ultimately, if everyone wanted to get arsey about cars/bikes/peds not being exactly as they came out the factory and they'd invalidate insurance coz it had been altered even in a very small way, they'd be no-one left on the road.

Its human nature to be different...fit a race can and enjoy the sound I say!... OK maybe not on a scoot if you dont want to attract too much attention from PLOD :D

12. Mr Bizzle

Mr Bizzle Active Member

Rides:
    04 Aerox 70 stage 6
    I've been pulled over by traffic cops and all they said was that they knew our bikes were de restricted and as long as we don't ride like a bunch of c**ts they won't bother us. One even stated that 30mph is dangerous on a road with a 40 or 60 limit.
    However beware some police forces, Avon & Somerset being one, have a portable rolling road which they test peds on.

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  13. BADGER

BADGER Member

I agree with you all regarding the ins and out of restricted verses de-restricted especially in todays mad/fast traffic, but a mate of mine did get done with regard to using a de-restricted ped ,no insurance/no license a Honda mt5 with a h100 engine, think it was 8 points he got for no insurance and 2 for the license If this did happen to me this would effectively be a HGV ban for 4 years whilst I waited for the points to come off (because of the heavy cost of insurance no one will employ you) by which point I would have lost my house. So fairly serious if it did happen although I know it's unlikely,That said I have the self discipline to stick to the 30mph limit but as a young lad I went everywhere flat out Honda CB900 ( no speed cameras and the cops had to catch you) 8 mates dead and a good number more with serious injuries later I have to work out if my lad has the same discipline as I do now. He won't be on my insurance ( not quite old enough yet) as I have the scooter on my other bikes policy but the bike is in my name.

14. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Certainly agree with 30 being dangerous on 40/60 roads,it's o.k. getting away from the lights 1st due to bikes lightness/
    responsiveness but i found they catch you up further on and alot of drivers take it as a heinous crime that you should be able
    to do so and be enjoying yourself so much.

15. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    As for avon/somerset police,they can stick it u. ..... a..e,
    might take a wander down by that way,bike will be tuned/
    road legal/insured,etc,,and i won't tell them jack till they
    test/confirm it's de-res. and state they will prosecute,then
    moi will pull out said documentation,etc.and then it clicks
    (might be worth filming!),thanks for the heads up mate-always
    much appreciated to know where i'll be able to get a state sponsered
    dyno test in future (save booking one in/good run for bike to bed in!. ) :) .

16. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member

Rides:
    EXUP1000
    Thing is, unless you're 16, theres no reason to have the ped restricted. The restriction no longer applies once you're 17 and over.

17. BADGER

BADGER Member

The restriction applies if you are riding the bike as a moped ie:16 years old or on a moped license given with the old car license,but if you alter the bike from moped to motorcycle ( ie not restricted) then you must inform DVLA it is now a motorcycle remove any information on the machine identifying it as a moped ( less than 50cc and only capable of 28/31 mph) and inform your insurer that the bike is now modified from how it was produced for use in the UK, most get really arsey about this now days I've had plenty of chops and custom bikes. If they really want to be arse's they can ask for an engineers report and Id guess but don't rally know that you would need a new MOT as a motorcycle because of possible MOT differences between moped and motorcycle ( tyre tread and what not) On top of all that you must have a full motorcycle licence or ride it on a provisional motorcycle license. My lad will be 16 when he gets to ride it so you can see my problem. That said I'll hardly ride the ped as I use a push bike for local, my car for anything else and my motorcycle for green lanning the tyres make the thing a death trap on the road and would wear out really fast.

18. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Thanks for making that one clearer,was getting a little confused .
    So let me get this right,50cc/restricted stays that way by law!-unless you have the licence entitlement to de-res.regardless of age
    ,but if you de-res. it/it has to be "reclassified"--(thought that was light motorcycle?),could have sworn in my early research there
    was an expensive vosa inspection somewhere!,reaspnably aware of spec.differences moped/mc in regard to mot,ins. not an issue
    taking all this into acc.already know of broker does'nt mind mods(think that one via phil.s.,if so cheers).

19. Mr Bizzle

Mr Bizzle Active Member

Rides:
    04 Aerox 70 stage 6
    Fitting a H100 engine in an MT5 is a bit of a give away and it's not surprising that he got done, however taking the restrictor from the variator and removing the exhaust washer is undetectable without considerable disassembly which could not be done at the roadside.
    In reality even some 70cc kits are impossible to detect at the roadside due to them being stamped as 50cc and I know of no-one having been reported for it.

20. Mr Bizzle

Mr Bizzle Active Member

Rides:
    04 Aerox 70 stage 6
    Many 50cc peds appear the same as their bigger engined versions, however they require for instance a number plate light, headlights which comply with beam patterns and aim and a minimum tread depth as opposed to visible tread.