How big mainjet can be thrown in?

Discussion in 'Scooter Tuning' started by Deikoo, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Deikoo

Deikoo Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Engine
    I have a 17.5mm carb (dellorto PHVA) that runs with a good mixture when I have my standard airbox mounted (92 mainjet).
    When I simulate to go with open airfilter (just take away the airbox), it just bogs when I hit the throttle.
    Therefor, my main is too small. But before I spend 100$ on 20 different mains, I want too hear what main you think, so I can come close and dont need to spend more $ than needed.

According to Dellortos magic number, I should have mainjet 88 (17.5*5), and this is correct if I have original airbox with airfilter (92 main is good if I take out the airfilter).

Please dont give me an answer that its got too much air and so on. If I let the carb have the amount of air that it can take in, then its my job too feed it with fuel. The carb cannot have too much air.

2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Like I said on the other thread, airboxes are complex things, I had a customer who just HAD to have a sports filter on his aerox, I had a 120 jet in there, bored out to about 130 then had to tape up nearly the whole filter...
    The only time I use sports filters is if I cant use an airbox, or for high end racing engines....

3. Deikoo

Deikoo Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Engine
    What carb was that? 17,5 aswell?
    Im not going with open air, but that Will give me a good guess of what I need.

4. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Yeah I think so, it was a while ago and ive not the best memory....

5. Deikoo

Deikoo Member

Rides:
    Piaggio Engine
    Great to know, thanks!

Have 92 main in and its not near to bog... the cylinder I have (70cc) seems to need a lot of candy to go to topspeed. (Original airbox with no restriction)