1. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Is it legal to use a 'bulb' horn to satisfy MOT requirements.?.

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

MOTORCYCLE MOT

6.1 Horn (Audible Warning)
    Information Method of Inspection Reason for rejection
    On motor bicycles without a battery or
    an insufficiently charged battery which are fitted with an electrically operated horn, it will be necessary to run the engine,

An audible warning device is usually an electrical horn. A horn is defined as an instrument, not being a bell, gong or siren, capable of giving audible and sufficient warning of the approach or position of a vehicle,

A motor bicycle first used before 1 August 1973 may be fitted with a bulb horn.

A motor bicycle may be fitted with a bell, gong or siren [but not a two tone horn) only as an anti-theft device.
    1. Check that the motor bicycle is fitted with a horn or an instrument capable of giving an audible warning.

2. Check the accessibility and operation of the horn control.

3. Operate the horn and listen to the character of the sound emitted.
    1. A horn control missing

2. A horn control

a. faulty or not readily accessible

b. not functioning

a. a horn which operates but is not loud enough to be heard by another road user.

b. a motor bicycle fitted with a gong, bell. siren or horn which emits two or more alternating tones

c. In the case of a motor bicycle first used on or after 1 August 1973 a sound which is:
    (i) not continuous or uniform
    (ii) strident i.e. harsh or grating.
    Issue Date: July 2001

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  3. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Cheers Steve,
    Haven't had chance to get back & clean switch or horn...or make sure battery on full charge /running around like a headless chicken doing stuff atm.mates given me an old bulb horn off a BSA 350.