Honda X8RS Tuning

Discussion in 'Scooter Tuning' started by Sean Hayden, May 10, 2013.

1. Sean Hayden

Sean Hayden New Member

Hi there, Im currently rebuilding an x8rs and need to know if I have everything.

Malossi 70cc kit
    Evolution racing crank
    Bearings
    Athena cdi
    TT pipe
    Malossi variator
    Pm tuning clutch
    Polini belt

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  2. technodimwit

technodimwit Active Member

Rides:
    Honda X8R
    wow, who gave you the keys to the toy shop:)

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  3. Sean Hayden

Sean Hayden New Member

Huh? Haha

4. Iggy13

Iggy13 Member

New seals? Gaskets?

5. Sean Hayden

Sean Hayden New Member

Seals and bearings are in one.
    Gaskets are with the 70 kit

6. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    +/- roller sets,angled variator ramp,gear-up kit,carb/jets.

technodimwit and lee mason like this.
  7. 2many2strokes

2many2strokes suck squeeze bang blow thats the way i like to go!

Rides:
    zzr1400
    need a bigger outer variator pulley wheel . polini make them, as the standard honda one is smaller than the aftermarket variator

stickman89 likes this.
  8. Quattro

Quattro New Member

Rides:
    Honda X8RS/SZX50S
    Anyone have a link to these bigger outer pulley wheel ?
    I suppose one must also have a longer and slightly wider belt in order to take advantage of the larger diameter of the pulley wheel ?

9. stickman89

stickman89 New Member

I know this is an old thread, but... I'm pretty sure the X8RS's have a rev limiter at CDI. I owned an X8RX and it was such a slow slouch!! Wouldn't push past 35MPH prior to some aftermarket love - wahwahwahwah even downhill with the wind behind me.

The original transmission is severely undersized. If you're tuning them definitely source a Malossi or Polini variator kit and aftermarket front pulley, and that'll help drastically. On a stock engine with the rev limiter removed, aftermarket exhaust, aftermarket variator, aftermarket belt, aftermarket front pulley, aftermarket contra spring, and aftermarket clutch springs fitted these ped's pull pretty hard. Anyway, mine went from 35MPH to closer to 60MPH with fast acceleration. I would call my setup at the time fairly low-end too. Think I ran a Leo Vince TT or ZX Exhaust... Anyway came to an abrupt end when some f!#e@r stole and burnt my X8RX out. I was pretty young at the time. It was my first bike. It being stolen pissed me off a treat. Never got to run a 70cc kit on it before it was forcefully removed from the garden.

@Quatrro - Literally just look for a malossi or polini front pulley. They're not any bigger than their aftermarket equivalent for any other bike. So nothing like an oversized/overrange transmission kit... They're just not undersized like the stock part is... If that makes sense. I don't believe the aftermarket belts are any longer either. Just stronger, being that they're made of kevlar, and much more durable. You'll definitely want one either way. Replacing the undersized variator and front pulley is a must on these peds. Here's a link to the polini one if you still need it: https://www.pedparts.co.uk/product/6664/polini-air-speed-front-pulley-honda-x8r-50cc

...Don't know what happened to Malossi's front pulley for the X8R.. Can't find it anymore. I think I brought mine from beedspeed way back when.