Honda X8RS 2t oil change

Discussion in 'Newbie Scooter Tuning' started by Ian Rendall, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Ian Rendall

Ian Rendall New Member

Rides:
    2003 Honda X8RS
    Hi all,
    This is my first post here.

I got my first scooter about 2 months ago and I'd like to do a 2 stroke oil change. The problem is, I can't for the life of me find the oil drain bolt. Any ideas?

Thank you!

2. Ian Rendall

Ian Rendall New Member

Rides:
    2003 Honda X8RS
    Thank you! What happens to the oil if it can't be drained?

3. Ian Rendall

Ian Rendall New Member

Rides:
    2003 Honda X8RS
    There is quite a lot of 2t oil coating the engine. I've topped it up full twice. However, the engine doesn't appear to be suffering audibly or performance wise. I have also just replaced the exhaust header gasket as it was blowing quite badly.

4. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    2 stroke engines use the oil to lubricate the piston+bore/main bearings while running, that's what the smoke is, burnt oil.keep filling the 2t tank with good oil. That's how they work!

5. Caroline

Caroline Honda s wing

Help me please I got the x8r and done the cdi derestrict deterring and still only does 33 ?? : $ very confused

6. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    hello caroline and welcome to the shack.....

on the left side of your scooter is the variator covering its part of the engine cover and usually has the kickstarter on it to. under this is the variator .......

when the cover is removed ( about 6-9 bolts ) the cover can be removed and this will uncover the variator and the clutch with the drive belt, the area we need to look at its the front round disc unit this is called variator.
    it is held onto the crank shaft of the engine via a large nut so it needs to be removed ( we tend to use an impact wrench gun ) , when this nut is removed the small round like disc comes away this is the fixed half pulley place this to one side keeping it nice and clean free from dust and grime/grease.

now what you should see is the drive belt around the crankshaft the belt is sitting on a hollow round tube called a variator boss and there tends to be a round like wedding ring on it to, this is a restrictor ring it is stopping your drive belt from riding up higher on the variator and keeping your top speed to the set regulation 30mph. so what you need to do is remove that little round wedding ring restrictor washer. Now put the fixed half pulley back on as it came off making sure you put all the washers and castle nuts on correctly in sequence , then add a couple drops of red thread locker to teh crankshafts thread then zip that nut back on using the impact gun again.....

if all is done right what should happen now is when you get to 30mph the scooter keeps on going, upto 35mph, then 40mph and upto around 45mph :) all fixed jobs a goodun and your little X8r is now derestricted....... Honda are noted to have fitted a small variator to the X8R so even with derestriction you may find it still does not have that higher top end speed you wish in this case, i personaly would say you are better off fitting a new variator what we call an hi speed variator, these are larger and a straight replacement for the factory fitted smaller types , there are a few out on the market but the two best ones are the malosi multivar and the polini hi speed , fitting either one of these and some 6g roller weights will have a remarked improvement all round, pulling away from a full stop to a higher top speed, the scooter will feel like a different model

7. Caroline

Caroline Honda s wing

Thank you so much will give this a try and see what happens

8. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

If memory serves me right the restrictor isnt the ring type on these, its a plate bolted on the back of the vario