Honda Vision NSC 50 MUST GO FASTER!!!

Discussion in 'Scooter Tuning' started by Travis Bickle, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle New Member

Hi guys I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction in order to get more power from my son's little 2012 Honda Vision NSC 50cc scooter. He's 17, soon to be 18 so shouldn't be any problems with legality in terms of de-restricting or putting a bigger bore/piston in but he loves this bike (and so do I) because it was bought for him when it was nearly brand new by his late grandfather and he doesn't really want to get rid of it and neither do I as it's very low mileage and I know it's been well looked after. Also I have to borrow it sometimes and I'm a bit of a lump, it struggles carrying a 20st bloke and is dangerously slow! So any extra power I can eek out of it would be advantageous.

I wouldn't say the sky is the limit for the budget but I'm prepared to spend a few quid. I'm reasonably mechanically minded and will give basic things a go and happy to dabble with electrics but wouldn't want to tackle anything like a bore/piston conversion myself but would be happy to pay someone else to do it for me.

I've done a lot of research on Google and YouTube but there's a lot of conflicting information. I've asked in the Honda dealership and they said it can't be done because it's a 4-stroke. Sounds like a load of hogwash to me, I just don't trust their answer, I think they're probably giving the official answer to play it safe.

Basically I'm after a list of things I can do in order to increase power (and therefore acceleration and top speed) please guys???

The obvious to me would be the 70cc up-rate kit but before that happens how do I go about do-restricting it? Is it a physical restriction or an electronic speed/rev limit restriction? Or both?

Some sources say you just need to change the CDI to de-restrict it and others say you need to remove a metal part in the transmission somewhere or reduce it's diameter with a lathe or something???

If I stick with the 50cc bore and piston but manage to de-restrict it, I hear talk about replacing the jets? Not sure if that applies to carbs only? This is a 2012 model not sure if it's carb or injector???

Also I'm slightly sceptical about the 70cc uprate kit as I uprated my 2012 Yamaha YBR 125cc up to 150cc, added a free-flow sports exhaust with removable baffle, K&N air filter and ABSOLUTELY no improvement in top speed whatsoever. I done a GPS test on the same stretch of dual carriageway before and after the mod and both times got 56mph. Maybe this too needs de-restricting and bigger jets or whatever but maybe that's a conversation for another thread.

SOMEONE HELP ME!!! Money isn't a problem I just need to know what I'm looking for and pointing in the right direction please.

Thanks in advance and I hope as I learn more I can contribute to this community in return as I'm fairly new to two-wheels anyway but keen to learn!

2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

From a honda mechanic.
    Its EFI, which means it doesn't have a CDI, but uses an ECU to control the spark, fuel and RPM etc etc.
    You need to reprogram the ECU to get the restrictions off.
    A bigger bore will get you more power, but its still going to be limited.

3. Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle New Member

I really appreciate your input, thank you. I've got a guy who does the remaps on my taxi fleet so I'm hoping he can help with this. So it won't be limited on other ways AS WELL as will it? I.E. variator?

Do you think the same could be true for my YBR as to why I'm not getting any more than 56mph from it?

4. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

I cant remember if the variator has a spacer or not, but I don't think it does.
    Is your YBR fuel injection or carb?
    You could regear it to run a higher top speed.
    They are pretty low power anyway.
    Motogaga.com probably have some pretty cool tuning bits for the YBR.

5. Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle New Member

Thanks again. The YBR is definitely EFI. If anything I was going to gear it down so that I can pull monster wheelies on it :-D LOVVL it's not top speed I'm after I was just using it as a before and after benchmark... Just seems BIZARRE all that work done to it and not even 1mph more on the top speed. But it doesn't FEEL like it's limited, like it's getting up to a set speed a rev and then letting back off again, it just genuinely feels like it's struggling to maintain that speed. Stange. Any further thoughts?

6. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

I think they run a slow cam, its more of a fuel efficient bike than anything.
    I like to gear all my bikes down, its way more fun getting to 60mph in a couple of seconds on the back wheel, than going 80mph in 3rd gear....
    My V4 is geared so it tops out at 70mph. But it gets there so fast.
    Often tuning a 4t is slow, especially when they are not limited the way mopeds are.

7. Travis Bickle

Travis Bickle New Member

Ok thanks for the advice. Yeah the fuel economy is one thing I love about the YBR, not that I do any real mileage on it for it to notice in my wallet but being new to two wheels it's cool to know I'm getting 70-80mpg whereas most of my cabs struggle to average 40mpg :-(

I think the Vision NSC 50 gets like 150-160mpg? Insane!

I've already got a smaller front sprocket (from 14t to 13t) and bigger rear sprocket (from 45t to 49t) ready to gear it down but wanted to get to the bottom of the "why doesn't it seem any more powerful after all these modifications???!!!" question before fitting them as it would affect my perception of any improvements. Mind you, gearing down a bike that already only does 56mph; perhaps not the best idea ay? LOL. Not that I plan on taking it on the motorway much. I'll ask my guy if he can remap that too see where we get with it...