honda vf500

Discussion in 'Bike Chat' started by nrgandy, Jun 29, 2007.

1. nrgandy

nrgandy New Member

i dowt anyone will know of this bike but if anyone does what are the commen faults on these as im thinking of buying my m8s one of him all i know is its fast lol big and ugly and has v4 engine

2. wobbly_trials

wobbly_trials Active Member

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    yeah, this is one of honda's biggest flops along with the vf750. i would immagine if its still going now it will be ok. also watch for the carburation, older hondas were a sod.

there was a problem with the valve timing system somwhere and most of them self-destructed. honda then went on to get it right and bring out the vfR750

3. nrgandy

nrgandy New Member

well might not get it now then probs wait a few years and get a gs500 or sumat

4. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    the GS 500 was a good motor, ever considered a CB550 four? retro bike with enough punch to piss off when you need it to.

5. ROSSRS

ROSSRS New Member

the vf series all had chocolate cams didnt they? newer 500's should be nigh on bullet proof, er5's, gs's, and cb's. i'd go for the cb500, had their own race series, pretty sure james toseland raced in it, but might have to edit that out late =P but yeh, they're nice.

6. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    yup, the cb500 is a bit of a beast, very usable round town below 5000rpm, then after that it's ballistic.

yeas, i'd heard that the VF series had cam problems.

7. ROSSRS

ROSSRS New Member

friend at work had a vf1000r back in the day, went through a couple of set of cams in a year. its apparently why the vfr series is so over engineered and reliable now, honda back-pedalling

8. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    yeah we have a VFR 750, 1989, absolutely bulletproof

9. ROSSRS

ROSSRS New Member

had rvf 400 :D love all of them, fave is obv rc45 but vfr800 fi more my kinda price range and engine is based on bored out rc45 so i can pretend a bit haha. what year 750? those last ones (nr750 looka likeys) were supposed to be shit hot

10. wobbly_trials

Rides:
    RD350, SR125, ICE125
    it's an '89, FJ, nothing special.

11. ROSSRS

ROSSRS New Member

just noticed the "we have vfr750, 1989", oops :) they're all cool, sound sexy. whiny cam gears got on my tits tho, eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee bloody everywhere.