Honda Sky Speedo Drive

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Del Sky, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    Honda Sky SGX 50
    Things are moving on a bit now....I now have the V5c logbook in my name....just checked and serviced the front brake, and everything is o.k, however I have discovered that the speedometer drive assembly is u/s, it is o.k in reverse, but jams up in the forward motion, anyone know where I could get one ?.....have tried several bike breakers looking for a used one, with no luck......

Attached Files:

2. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    Honda Sky SGX 50
    No joy at all on the speedo drive, I have looked on sites all over the world.....nothing.....rang countless bike breakers in the UK.....nothing....it looks increasingly likely that a GPS speedo might be the way forwards, any one fitted one, or use one ?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    scubabiker likes this.
  3. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

I have. Sat nav Mount on the bars.

Del Sky likes this.
  4. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    Honda Sky SGX 50
    O.k....what's the position regarding the MOT test ?.....is the speedometer actually a part of a motorcycle Mot ? and if so is a GPS one acceptable ?.....

5. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

I live in Norway no mot for bikes here however I remember from my days in the UK speedo doesn't get checked on MOT

Del Sky likes this.
  6. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    Honda Sky SGX 50
    Thanks for that.....just checked on the Governments own website, and you are right, it isn't part of the MOT test.....obviously some sort of speedo is needed, or the law could do you.....presumably these things have a built in antennae, to communicate with the satellite, just a matter of wiring them up to the bikes electrics ?

Attached Files:

scubabiker likes this.
  7. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Yeah. I looked at them. Just shove a 12v ignition feed to them and it's all good.

Del Sky likes this.
  8. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

A lot of folks run the antenna up to the mirror.

Del Sky likes this.
  9. Del Sky

Del Sky Active Member

Rides:
    Honda Sky SGX 50
    Thanks......sounds like a good idea......