Honda Dylan 125

Discussion in 'General Tuning' started by swrk, Apr 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. swrk

swrk Member

had a little problem today my variator fan got Chewed to pieces and I have chipped the variator a lot trying to get it off so going to get a new hole kit. Is it worth getting a new belt too ? How do you know if the belt is worn/on the way out? And anyone knows what the standard roller size is as the ones coming with it are 14.5g dose that sound about right? And any ideas on getting the variator nut off as the fan has rounded and spins ?

2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    not sure but in severe cases one would use a locking tool on the variator fixed plate and then run a grinder on the edges of the nut to add a couple flat sides the use a set of grips to get it off with a extended bar to offer some leaverage. im sure the other folks may have a better way ;) but thats how i removed old stubborn rounded nuts on the field bikes we had.

roller wise give the 14.5g a shot first if your not happy weigh the old ones that come out and then get rollers the same weight as the old ones ;)

belt if your replacing the variator maybe worth replacing the belt to that way your running new on new, a belt can wear in differing ways width - angle - depth so a replacement wont be a bad thing at all

3. swrk

swrk Member

Thank you

4. swrk

swrk Member

Well it's worse then i first thought. How hard it that to change ?

Attached Files:

5. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  6. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    new or second hand crank buddy, sorry to say there is no amount of fettling that can right those splines, even if they are re-cut the variator fixed half wont fit correctly .

7. swrk

swrk Member

I was hoping that it's mostly aluminium from the fan but only find that out when my new variator kit turns up tomorrow

8. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

You could try scraping it off between the splines. It's difficult to judge on a pic but it might be viable if the alloy has just scraped off on the splines.
    You'll need to clean it off anyway to fit another variator.
    I'm still not happy with the looks of that seal.
    Is there any up and down movement on the crank?
    You better find out why it stripped the alloy/fins off before fitting a new variator as you may wreck that one as well if the crank bearings have gone?
    My bet is the crank bearings have seized or are worn enough causing the variator to stop suddenly and strip the splines off as there is enough movement to allow the fan to hit the case and jam.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  9. swrk

swrk Member

Yh well it's definitely rounded abit but I'm hoping it's not to much and yh I know why it did it when I put the case back on I didn't see that the seal/gasket had fell inside so I srewed it up and it most of been touching as it's only on one side of the case where it had no gasket and the seal only like that as I used a screwdriver to wedge the Variator so I could undo nut

10. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Don't even try and put the new variator on that crank.

You'll kill the new splines in the fixed half and then you'll have to shell out again.
    The only "real" solution is a new crank I'm afraid.

The positive way to look at it is this:

New crank
    New bearings and seals
    New gaskets
    Hone the cylinder, put new rings in, or even a piston kit
    Presto, practically a new engine

And if you've half a mind, clean and paint the engine cases while they're apart to make them look spanking:D

Tamiyacowboy likes this.
  11. swrk

swrk Member

Yh that will probably be the plan tbh

Tamiyacowboy and Stevep like this.
  12. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Good boy, you know it makes sense rodders;)

13. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    aye fully agree with steve.

when the fixed pulley half gets spun its alloy on steel, but the problem still lays with its going to take enough of the steel away to leave a worn shaft spline set, fitting a new variator is all well but the fixed half just wont grip well enough and will tear itslef away again due to belt pressure, you will then fit a new fixed half and the same thing happens each time your taking away those splines more.

crack that sucker in half, new bearings kit, new seals , gaskets, re-hone the cylinder or even maybe go for a slight re-bore of like .5mm and add a .5mm oversized pistion and new rings, slap it all together give the main jet a tweek for the extra capacity and boom a nice new top end ready for another 10,000- 15,000 miles

14. swrk

swrk Member

What am I looking at cost wise?