Honda Dylan 125 speed limiter?

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by petrolblue, Jun 27, 2010.

1. petrolblue

petrolblue New Member

Hi I've got a Honda Dylan 125 (2002) and was just wondering if anyone knows if they have a speed limiter fitted. The reason I ask is that it gets up to 60 quite easily then just suddenly stops accelerating. It'll do 60mph uphill but won't do more than 60mph on the flat or even downhill. I've got a Haynes manual for it and there's no mention of it in there or in the wiring diagrams and i've read elsewhere that people have had 65mph+ out of them.

Thanks

2. capri dave

capri dave Active Member

125cc is restricted by law to make it learner legal, so yes there could possibly be some kind of rev limiter :)

3. petrolblue

petrolblue New Member

Is it possible to remove the limiter? It's just that I got overtaken on the dual carraigeway by a kid in what looked like a modded 50cc scoot and I thought I must be able to get more from mine. I'm guessing the limiter's on the cdi although as I say I can't find any reference to it on the wiring diagrams?

4. capri dave

capri dave Active Member

if you want to go as fast as a 2 stroke....you gotta buy a 2 stroke :)

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  5. petrolblue

petrolblue New Member

Haha yeah I guess!

6. Clancy Bowes

Clancy Bowes New Member

I have a 2002 Dylan, which I've owned from new. Yesterday it ran at about 110 kph coming back from Berwick (to Edinburgh), which I find possible only on motorways and in favourable conditions. Mostly I cruise at about 98kph, keeping what little is left for overtaking lorries restricted to 96kph.

No, there is no speed restrictor on a Honda Dylan, however they do need regular servicing, which costs a fair packet at any official dealer. The air filter is a paper cartridge type and costs about £16 (fitted) and I've been through three of them in 9000 miles. The transmission belt needs to be replaced every 15,000 miles and the rollers almost certainly need to be changed around that time as well.

One thing about the scooter is you'll find pretty severe vibration starts at around 96kph (60 mph), then it settles down before coming back at about 108kph (67mph). That's caused by the catalytic converter in the exhaust. It's nothing to worry about.

It's only an itsy bitsy 125 with a two valve motor and it's no rocket ship. However I found an after market fly screen helped it get to it's best cruising speed much more reliably. Bought it through VE UK, who distribute through most Kawasaki agents.

From the sound of it Dave, you've only recently aquired your scooter, so you should have the little booklet from Honda detailing its service history. If that's been kept up to date it should have a service logged for every 2,500 miles. If not, then it could well be that your belt and rollers are badly worn and in need of replacement. Another shock with these scooters is they need to have a pretty pricey spark plug, that sets me back about £8 a pop.

On the other hand, once brought back to full specifications, it's a cracking good scooter that accelerates very well indeed and is best at mid range work (it goes strongly to about 55mph, the builds speed to a genuine 100kph cruise (62mph)). And the motor will last for 50,000 miles without hassle, providing you change the oil religiously every 2000 miles (about 900cc is all it needs).

I'm in the fortunate position that I have always preferred lightweight scooters and motorcycles and this Dylan is unquestionably the best 125 I've ever owned. With a top box, bag hook and helmet bay it's great for shopping and it aquits itself very well on the open road. But it's main advantage is its relatively light weight (122kgs dry). Compare that to lard arses like the Yamaha X Max or the Piagio X8.

Service it and enjoy.

7. petrolblue

petrolblue New Member

Hi guys sorry not been on for a while, thanks for all your comments. Well the bike has only done 5000 miles from new and I have recently serviced it changing oil, spark, filter, rear pads front shoes and a dose of Redex but the situation remains the same. I'm not expecting it to be a rocketship and I'm not desperate for it to go faster as it serves my needs pretty well getting me to work but I'm just curious as to why in all the reviews I've read people are getting 65-70mph while mine gets up to 60mph quite quickly then just hits a brick wall uphill, on the flat or even downhill :confused:cratch:. The front caliper was sticking and I have refurbed it with new seals and pistons but one other thing I noticed when pulling away when it gets to about 15mph the revs drop, not massively but noticably. Is this normal or should the CVT keep the revs constant?

Any thoughts appreciated thank you!

8. Baron O'Hagan

Baron O'Hagan New Member

Hey guys

I am in desperate need of a Honda Dylan 125 wiring diagram.
    Can any of you please help?

Many thanks

9. ODopez

ODopez New Member

I have a 2003 Honda Dylan, I have the precise issue two of the previous members have. My scooter will hit 60 MPH and the revs will fall tremendously until it stabilizes around 58/9. However, uphill without momentum, the bike can only top 52 MPH, I am in need of more speed for the area and times I work.
    Any recommendations will be appreciated. I am considering purchasing an exhaust.

10. Gabriel Walker

Gabriel Walker New Member

Honda Dylan has a rev limit of around 9000 RPM, where it produces approx. 13.5hp. This should be enough for 65-70mph depending on how much you weigh.
    The sudden loss of acceleration you feel just past 60mph is because the engine has reached its maximum RPM and cannot spin any faster.
    You can increase the top speed (up to a point) by installing heavier roller weights in the variator. This will make the scooter go into a higher gear ratio more quickly.
    If the rollers are too light, the acceleration and uphill will be good but when on the flat or downhill, the engine will hit the rev limiter before the transmission is in its highest gear ratio. You want it to be the other way round.

Check the sparkplug as well. If it's too dark the engine is running rich, and if its too light the engine is running lean. If either of these is the case for you, then you might be able to squeeze a bit more power out of the engine by changing the carb jets, in particular the main or high speed jet.
    My favourite colour for sparkplugs is reddish-brown - probably just ever so slightly on the rich side.

Beyond that, there's not a whole lot you can do to squeeze more speed out of it, unless you are willing to install a larger cylinder & piston, but even this will mostly increase the torque (acceleration/uphill) rather than peak horsepower (top speed)