Hiper 2, Piaggio Zip - belt noise

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Meiers, Oct 29, 2021.

1. Meiers

Meiers New Member

Hi Guys

Im new at scooter repairs - My son have a Piaggio Zip 2012 2 stroke ( hiper 2 )

Problem is scooter it started making a loud squeaking noise from what i assume is the v-belt. First only at start off, but then it got worse and worse.

So i replaced the belt, replaced the variator system, because of visible wear (picture) . - I took apart the clutch but it looked good.

The problem seemed to go away at first - but only for a while .. it looks like the belt is slipping on/off when i have the shields of and rev the engine up.

Can it be the clutch spring that is worn ?? ..

Another thing is there is a litle play/slack in the finaldrive axel .. problem ?
    (Video here)
    https://streamable.com/2h4rko

Attached Files:

2. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Change the bearing on that input shaft.
    It will cause the clutch to run at an angle, quite possibly causing the belt squeal

3. Meiers

Meiers New Member

Thanks Steve

I have been youtubing how difficult changing all bearings in the box is, It seems dooable, but when i Google for bearing kit, i get alot off gearbox cover with bearing already installed links, also some crazy price for a ceramic bearing for the inputshaft ...

Can i not just swap the bearings with normal SKF

The scooter have around 30000 km on it - so replacing the bearings make sense ..

4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Na, you don't google bearing kits.
    If you look at the bearings they all have numbers on them; like 6204, 6004, 6005 etc.
    They're easy to change, except the ones that are in a blind hole, then you will need a bearing insert puller.
    Take the gearbox cover off, check the bearing number, go to simplybearings.co.uk and order from there.
    SKF's are about £6 each +postage