Hi from Oldham

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself...' started by Kriskeogh, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Kriskeogh

Kriskeogh Member

Hi

Totally new to owning a scooter, got a new Sym Fiddle iii 125 this week which I love and the freedom it gives me

Mainly use it for work but want to get out in summer on trips to the countryside and the seaside as well

Really finding my feet with this at the moment, at 40 this is the first motorised vehicle I've ever owned

John111 likes this.
  2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    Welcome to the scooter shack Kris

45yr old here on my second scooter ever (road wise, but many bikes off road). it takes a little time to get used to being on the road buddy but everything soon becomes just natural when your confidence builds in yourself, country roads can be a little slippy in the winter times but in the summer your not getting hassle from the cars around you and can relax and take in the views. the more you ride the more confidence you build in yourself thats the key.

come summer time its going to get hot BUT never go without your gear, throw on a t-shirt then your armoured jacket, skip the trainers and keep them boots on , gloves to and throw your waterproof trousers in the seat bucket ( that rain it always can catch us out when least expected ).

Dont expect everything to work ie your lights - indicators - brake lamps make it a habit to check these everytime you start the bike/scooter. its just a couple seconds to check and better than forgetting and landing a fine or a ticket.

3. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

I second the lights check, not uncommon for bulbs to blow randomly. I carry relevant tools and spare bulbs always, and a torch!
    Enjoy riding and stay safe, car drivers are selfish and ignorant so dont let them bully you, hold your lane and dont ride to the left track like a bicycle. Assume every car will pull out on you and anticipate it and youll be fine. And i agree with tamiya' wear proper clothing all year, its tempting to pop on a t shirt and trainers in the summer but sweat is better than blood, even slow mishaps will graze your skin off.
    Its a great experience and summer is awesome.

4. Kriskeogh

Kriskeogh Member

Few days in and I'm loving my scooter. Once I've passed the nerves it's got much better and feeling comfortable with that throttle helps rather than being too gentle

Tonight I've been out for a few hours and loved it, trying right turns into main roads, roundabouts, holding my lane. There's more on that i need to work on line crossing main roads and turning right off a main road when there's oncoming traffic. It's the small stuff i want to work on improving as that's where I'm not at my best.

Knowing what speed to turn at a junction so I've enough momentum to get round without accelerating whilst turning