Hi from Durham!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself...' started by Paul T, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Paul T

Paul T New Member

Hi everyone.

Good to see the scooter world thriving with sites like this! I have to admit I am new to scooters. Just bought my first Scooter (Vespa Super 125) a few months ago after 15 years of admiration! The weather has finally improved for me to try and get out and about on it and have managed to master the neutral to first and pulling away from a stand still etc. However the main problem I am having is that it generally only starts with the choke out and when I'm riding and push the choke back in it will slowly come to a stop. Similarly, after about 2-3 mins of riding even with the choke out it comes to a stop. It is difficult to then get it started again which I have interpreted as flooding the engine. Can anyone give me any advice??!

Thanks
    Paul

2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    Warm up Paul.

the super 125's still need that 5 min warm up . in the morning set out 5 mins early start bike with full choke and allow it to get some heat into the motor, once that rough 5 mins have been, start to knock the choke off , you may find you still need a little bit of choke but once the scoots motor is upto temp you should find you can close the choke fully off and it starts to settle .

think of it like wiskey , straight from the tap its going to be a little horse kicker and chest burner, but f its left to mature a little it becomes a throat tickler and a chest/tummy warmer. bit like a scooter first start up its always a bit cold and not wanting to get outta bed, but give it a little time to get warm it plays ball ;)

3. Paul T

Paul T New Member

Thanks @Tamiyacowboy. I'll give that a go and see if it makes a difference. I have been letting her warm up a bit but maybe not for 5 mins or so. What would be the reason for struggling to get her started up again, what causes the flooding of the engine?