Hi all from Chippenham

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself...' started by craig.gunn.10, Dec 29, 2016.

1. craig.gunn.10

craig.gunn.10 New Member

Hello everyone names gunny I'm 27 and just bought my 1st geared motorbike. I had a moped when I was 16 but it didn't go any further on 2 wheels really. But IV had a soft spot for them and thought I'm good with a spanner why not give bikes a go. So IV got hold of a derbi senda 50cc to start me off. It's a 2002 and any info on what model it is would be great as I know there are extremes and so on. Currently a non runner so 1st job is to get her going lol. Anyhow here she is[​IMG]

Sent from my Redmi Pro using Tapatalk

2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    Hi Gunny welcome to the scooter shack

3. craig.gunn.10

craig.gunn.10 New Member

Thanks pal, so found out it's an r and that the fuel wasnt getting to the carb because the fuel cock was screwed however she still won't run. The fuel just drips from the float bowl when you kick it over. Benn told this is the floats inside the carb. So get this tomorrow and see how that goes any other ideas?

4. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    sounds like the carb float is sticking in a semi off position.

when the fuel flows into the carb the float raises up and pushes a little stopper inside the float tube that shuts of the fuel flow until the float lowers and reopens the valve.

if someone has opened the carb and messed with the float its possible its been bent to far upwards ( a little metal tab) and this is causing teh float to shut of to soon. if you can get hold of a service manual for the bike it will state the floats high in mm the manual should also show you how to reset the float and/or adjust the tab to the correct float hight.

if the carb drips fuel from a pipe ( overflow pipe/breather) its possible its a bit dirty inside and blocking the shutoff valve hecne you get an overflow of fuel .

5. craig.gunn.10

craig.gunn.10 New Member

Thanks buddy, IV just taken carb apart cleaned it and checked that the float is raising the stopper and seems to be so IL check tomorrow when I get it back on IL let you all know of my findings

6. craig.gunn.10

craig.gunn.10 New Member

Well lads it's alive and riding. Turns out had loads off old oil and fuel in cylinder got rid of that bumped it and fired right up one turn of idle screw and she is away

7. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    sweet news craig . enjoy those road keep the shiney stuff up and ride safe

8. craig.gunn.10

craig.gunn.10 New Member

Lol like that cowboy a quick pic of her new look[​IMG]

9. craig.gunn.10

craig.gunn.10 New Member

DC stickers to come and I'm looking for some road tyres if anyone knows of any

10. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    wait till summer for new rubber buddy, they take a while to scrub in ( 100 or so miles for new rubber). the knobbleys will be fine in winter plus if you feel like doing some greenlane riding ;)

11. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Please don't say you rattle canned it........................

12. craig.gunn.10

craig.gunn.10 New Member

Why wouldn't I rattle can it? I can spray lol, and the bike cost 100 quid I'm not going to take it to sprayer and pay another 100 quid lol.

13. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    rattle can is not a very good paint medium. its ok but can just leave a lotta bad areas.

Black is the worse colour its becasue it shows up every dink scratch scrape and spot of dust. normaly when we rattle can we would take a real good long time prepping up the panels, thats a bit of sanding to get the shine off them ( helps the rattle can paint stick if you dont its gonna flake in not much time ) then we would use a sanding primer and get them nice and flat ( surface level flat ) after than a lotta fine thin coats of the rattle can but usually in warm weather to help it flash off faster and cure faster. after that maybe a fine wet and dry sand then some good few coats of clearcoat , leave it a week or so to fully harden up then buff the puppys to a nice glossy glass like shine ;)

sticker wise you can add them before the clear coat then blast them over to seal them and the paint job.

My little sym jet was rattle canned by a youngster, he left the stickers on, never cut back the shine on panels and never clear coated it. every time i was it flakes of paint come off. i gotta strip the whole scoot down in summer and start prepping the panels and giving it a whole new black satin colour and clearcoat finish, i will rattle can mine but thats because my little airbrush would take half a year to colour it and my compressor just has not got the meat to run a lvlp gun yet.

a good amount of prep time and a good spray job can put 100 quid onto a scooter/bike if you take your time and work slow. a little extra effort you can have a very good looking rattle can job, BUT its not easy

14. craig.gunn.10

craig.gunn.10 New Member

I'm not that bothered bud, it looks a dam sight better then old blue faded panels. I'm not going for the most amazing looking bike. It won't win any show and shines lol but it functions and looks alot better and taken a few years off it

15. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    i agree buddy, but maybe one day when you have time give it some love and you can pump it out for a lot more ;)

if your fairly crafty you can get an awesome finish with cheap ebay car wrapping to, i did this knackered sym floor panel in a chrome orange wrap took me 10 mins :) and looked great . i bet if i didnt say it was a wrap you would have thought it was a spray job to .

7 quid for a 5ft x 1ft roll the wrap cost and i could get two of those floor panels done

Attached Files:

16. craig.gunn.10

craig.gunn.10 New Member

I didn't think of that you know lol, hmm got me thinking now

17. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    practice first craig buddy , grab the gf/sisters/mums/wifes hairdryer.

heat the film then lay it down and pull it taught then just use a flat wiperblade but glue some felt to it so you dont scratch the wrap.
    use heat to help it go round corners and bends. better to waste a roll practice wise and gets you learning how to treat the wrap, stretch it to much it starts to go whitish ;)
    youtube was my first starting point watching a lotta car wrap videos picking up tips and hints and watching how they worked the wrap. that panel was my very first try at wrapping .

but yeah paint or wrap long as you take your time do the prep work first, then work slow and methodical you can put money onto the bike rather than loose money because of looks :)

18. craig.gunn.10

craig.gunn.10 New Member

Thank you bud, IV used wrap before but didn't think to use it on the bike lol. I need to get a few more bits panel wise but IL keep the forum updated of my progress

19. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    if you do decide to wrap, just rub down that rattle can spray and give it a light clear coat , just so you have something nice and flat for the wrap to girp and stick to, dont wanna see you wrap panels and find the warp starts to lift off with paint stuck to it ;)

20. craig.gunn.10

craig.gunn.10 New Member

Thanks cowboy