HELP!

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by jimbobb1, Feb 6, 2019.

1. jimbobb1

jimbobb1 New Member

fellow scooter fans, I'm having issues with my vivacity 50, she's an old girl an d bought as bit of a project to keep my busy, but I'm having a frustrating problem that i cant seem to fix..

the issue I'm having is with the overflow from the carb, feel comes flying out of the overflow, i've taken the entire carb apart cleaned it, put it back together, same problem, i've tested the float, that has no issues is not ruptured or anything, checked the seating of where the fuel flows in thats all clean. while its apart i can blow into the fuel inlet move the float and it will stop the flow..that to me says there must be some way to adjust it to make sure the fuel stops when the float in the chamber is..well.. floating.

but it's pickling my brain, can someone please make sense of this and point me in the right direction ?

many thanks

Jimbobb1

2. milo2025

milo2025 Trip to Trumpton

hello Jimbobb it can only really be the needle valve can't it? They can look fine and still leak. I've occasionally managed to fix them with fine sandpaper to the needle to remove the groove but really you sound like you need a carb rebuild kit with new needle valve. It'll be worth the money - worn and knackered carbs are a real pita! lol

3. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Yeah needle or seat, or possibly the float is a sink instead?

4. milo2025

Yep I think there Is a way of adjusting it from memory but I'm racking my brains as to recall how! Will let you know if I can think of something or if it comes back to me. .

5. Saracen

Saracen Member

Hi, recently had overflow problems (fuel dumped into the air filter box twice) on my Piaggio Zip 50 2T. I replaced the float, float pin and valve, all OK for a few weeks. Then it happened again. Forum members advised replacing the fuel vacuum tap as a constant leaky tap can overcome the float valve. So far so good.

6. milo2025

Nice one, didn't think of the tap but that makes perfect sense now when I think about it. If its leaking then it makes sense the float valve wouldn't operate correctly. I need to remember that advice :)

7. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Yeah. They sometimes leak through pretty bad.
    And the early speedfights and vertical peugeot engines had a plastic float bowl, which if you over tightened the drain screw, would crack and leak.
    It could well be exactly that?

8. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Also you adjust the float by bending the metal tab the valve sits on...