Help with Runner SP 50 2010 tuning

Discussion in 'Newbie Scooter Tuning' started by UGE, Mar 29, 2019.

1. UGE

UGE Member

Evening guys and girls i hope some one can help with my wife's runner.

Basically she needed a runaround to get to work and was going to do her CBT so having a Runner years ago (2001) i said get one of these they are good.
    My problem is it just wont go faster or even hit 30 since i have been working on it and now she has done he CBT she wants to use it so im in the dog house

here is a list of whats been done:
    Leo Vince TT exhaust (de restricted by a well known shop)
    EGR blocked when fitting exhaust
    Non restricted inlet
    No brass plate in the carb
    Washer removed in variator
    Polini Vareator kit plus springs
    up jetted to 75 (currently got a 60 in due to over fueling and bogging down)
    and tried a host of rollers

It seems to only get up to 7k rpm and seems sound very rough when it get there

I also have a 17.5 tnt tuning carb, cone filter as well and a full set of polini clutch springs

Any advise would be greatly received

2. milo2025

milo2025 Trip to Trumpton

I wonder if the big ends gone. Does the engine make a knocking noise?

3. UGE

UGE Member

no knocking noise from the engine but a rattle from the variator area but i think i have narrowed that down to the electric started just not taken it out and kicked it over to be sure.

it seems so strange to me as my old y reg didnt take much work and i had it up to 60+ but this one is doing my head in and starting to feel like a money pit the wife thinks it is but im trying to prove how good they can be.

do they have a restriction on the cpu? or could the auto choke be a potential problem? (i have a manual choke that came with the tnt carb i can fit)

4. milo2025

Tbh I'm not sure as I've never owned a runner before so there will be others that can offer you better advice. Welcome to the forum anyway! :)

UGE likes this.
  5. UGE

UGE Member

Cheers Milo
    been out of this world for a fare few years but its nice to be back ;) frustrating with this scoot but hey you know what they say about t**s and wheels giving you problems ;)

6. milo2025

I do indeed! My speedfight 100's in my local garage waiting for a new vario. Gf seems to be behaving herself though :D

7. UGE

UGE Member

your lucky, i got problems with the scoot and the wife who wants to use it, at this rate looks like im sleeping in the garage lol

milo2025 likes this.
  8. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Take everything off, fit 70cc barrel with std up jetted carb+airbox, std transmission, std exhaust, nice reliable and not slow !

milo2025 likes this.
  9. UGE

UGE Member

Sureley going up to a 70cc kit would effect the insurance as well as making it non ridable for myself as the insurer as i only have a full 50 licence?

10. milo2025

Phew. I feel vindicated. Good advice!

11. UGE

UGE Member

So what sort of cost would it be to go for a 70? Should the wife want to go for it?

12. milo2025

Yes and yes unfortunately, unless it's a case of 'mums the word'.

13. milo2025

I wouldn't have thought much as only 20cc difference but very much depends on the insurer.

14. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    De restricting the "moped" a 28 mph machine on a provisional licence, all the parts you listed would have made it illegal ! A 70cc barrel would be invisible with everything else std.

15. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Take the cone filter off, re-jet the carb, jet size by jet size working down from the largest first, run it WITHOUT the filter to start with for testing purposes. You'll know when you hit the right jet size, it'll be crisp.
    Re-fit the cone filter, notice the change and down-jet accordingly to balance the fuel/air mix.

UGE likes this.
  16. UGE

UGE Member

We both have full moped licences

17. UGE

UGE Member

I have up to an 80 jet might have a 90 with the tnt carb

18. Sam phantom

Sam phantom Active Member

Technically it should still be restricted or it’s no longer classed as a moped your full moped intaltment just permits you to ride with no L Plates, who dose not derestrict them tho ? There just a hindrance on the road otherwise

UGE likes this.
  19. UGE

UGE Member

Ok so i have put the tnt carb back on and started jetting. Im down to. 70jet from 80 and its still playing up to the point duel is coming out the exhaust going to keep down jetting but was told it should be using around 75jet?

20. UGE

UGE Member

Also now on manual choke