help with my typhoon 172 please...

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by tanveer, Oct 31, 2014.

1. tanveer

tanveer New Member

not had my typhoon very long, its the usual air cooled engine with a malossi 172 kit, its got a delorto 25mm carb with an open filter. it was running fine past two days i ran out of petrol today just taking it round the block and i cant seem to start it after filling it back up, it back fires with a big bang every couple of times but thats it. its got a spark and compression, but the spark plug still seems dry after trying to start it for 20 minutes when i took it out. any idea what could be up with it guys?

any help much apreciated.

2. 2smoker180

2smoker180 Member

Rides:
    Gilera Runner SP 180
    Hello, by the sounds of what you described... All the crap that was at the bottom.of your petrol tank is in the carb.. strip the carb and clean the main jet ( on this carb is in the gold 14mm bolt that holds the float bowl) and pilot and choke jet.. see if this helps :)

3. tanveer

tanveer New Member

hey bud thanks for the reply, i stripped the carb and only just realised the bike hasnt got as much compression as it had before. im going to take the cylinder off and have a look.

4. 2smoker180

2smoker180 Member

Rides:
    Gilera Runner SP 180
    No worries let me know how it goes mate

5. tanveer

tanveer New Member

piston rings had completely shit them selves, replaced the piston and rings the cylinder was okay some slight marking but is running spot on now, just running it in for 100 or so miles before i give it any stick

6. 2smoker180

2smoker180 Member

Rides:
    Gilera Runner SP 180
    Nice one easy fix :).. always warm up especially now it's winter time , happy riding