Help tuning Runner 180

Discussion in 'Scooter Tuning' started by Fenqotek01, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Fenqotek01

Fenqotek01 New Member

Hello guys! I love this forum and ive been browsing for awhile now, but i think its time to ask for some help!

I got my gilera runner working finally, i replaced almost all of the bearings and many other things! But i want to make it run faster, especially off of the lights!

This is what its wearing atm:

Jasil crankshaft
    Original Cylinder and pistol
    original vario and rollers
    Oko 25 carb ( i also have a dellorto 28 waiting to be used)
    JL exhaust
    Some aftermarket belt

I asked around and some people told me to go the malossi road, but im not so sure. Is there no other way to do this? Could i fit a nikasil in there? Could i use a wossner piston to up the cc? Those are just some of my ideas, i dont know whats right or wrong. Is the dellorto 28 carb too big for my current setup? Should i just keep using the Oko 25?

Most people told me that the malossi road is tested and working without problems. But how many hp will i gain if i spend 700 euros on malossi parts? Is it even worth it? It seems to me that upping the cc by using a larger piston would give more gains. But then again im not sure..

Thanks for reading!

2. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    There is no right or wrong way to tune it, you tune it to you personally as in weight? 10 st or 18st ? What do you want from it ? To get more cc you fit a longer stroke crank (55mm) machine head etc. Stock transmission works perfect, maybe slightly lighter rollers ? a 25mm carb is good if std reed block, porting the cases/180 barrel can give good results. Better exhaust ? If you want faster acceleration and not worried about top speed then fit a 125 gearbox, The choice is yours as they say . And std 180 (m08) engines are getting hard to find so get another engine to tune and keep your's std.

3. Fenqotek01

Fenqotek01 New Member

My engine is m071 btw, its an 125 engine with switched cylinder and piston from the 180 engine. So i dont know if the gears are from the 125 or the 180. In any case its the sp model (rear disk break engine).

4. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    So it's a 172cc ? or the 180 barrel or cases have been modded, std 180 barrel won't fit 125 cases . cheack number of teeth on gears. I think for every 7 revs of clutch to 1 rev of wheel is 180 , 8.5 revs clutch 1 rev of wheel is 125 gears, as near as damn it.

5. Fenqotek01

Fenqotek01 New Member

Ok actually this was all done by the previous owner, could it be that they put an 180 engine and just replaced the carter cover with m071 for legal reasons? Or the m071 carter wont fit on the m081 engine? The guy also gave me a second empty engine (only transmission and gears inside) and that one has an m081 carter number, but its from the fxr model so it has rear drum break and wont fit on my bike.

Its not 172cc, it has the original 180cc cylinder and piston, only the crank is after market.

I was thinking instead of going malossi, to try maximum bore size with a larger piston, i was going to replace the jasil crank anyway, so putting a 55 shouldnt be a problem. The problem is that there arent that many shops around here that still work on 2t engines, most shops just send me away when they hear 2t.. lol

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020