Help starting a piaggio 50cc zip 09 plate

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Johnboy217, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Johnboy217

Johnboy217 New Member

Hi thanks for the add, I have a piaggio 50cc zip 09 plate. The bikes been sitting for about a year , it starts for a few seconds and cuts out.
    I have : cleaned the carb
    Changed the battery
    drained the fuel tank and put new petrol in
    Checked the fuel filter and hoses
    Checked the spark plug and leads
    All seems fine with these , I have also set the fuel air mix to 3 1/2 turns ( read on here)
    There seems to be at some point fuel in the air filter but when I try to start it that doesn't seem to be a problem now .
    Does anyone have any other ideas I could try? I'm fast running out of ideas , I have looked on here at other threads but can't put my finger on it , any help much appreciated, thanks

2. Saracen

Saracen Member

Hi Johnboy 217,
    With my limited knowledge I would check the operation of the choke and the fuel tap. Plenty of info about online for those.
    Regarding the pilot screw adjustment, my Haynes manual specifies 1.5 turns out for a 2T and about 2.5 turns out for a 4T.
    Good luck.

3. Buzz

Buzz Active Member

Check for water in the carb. Did you drain the tank totally dry as you may have some residual water in it which will hit the carb first. Probably not but when in doubt .
    After that I would rig up a bottle of fuel and pipe straight to the carb to bypass the tank, filters and fuel tap. If its better then you've narrowed it down. Check tank cap breather, tap and fuel lines again. Does it have a fuel pump? Check vacuum taps and vacuum fuel pumps.
    If its still the same then clean the carb jets again. Check choke works.

4. Macauley

Macauley New Member

Piaggio zip vacuum fuel taps are know to fail, the valve either seizes in shut position or in full open, do like was said and put some fuel in a bottle