Help on setting up my 180 Runner

Discussion in 'Maxiscooter Tuning' started by rendersonique, Jun 15, 2014.

1. rendersonique

rendersonique Member

Hi all,
    I have just had my runner MOTed and am now in a position where I can't really do a great deal on the scooter until I get it registered as a UK vehicle. The ride to and from the test centre was a challenge as the scooter quite clearly needs setting up properly. I have fitted an OKO 24mm powerjet carb, a foam air filter and a Scorpion Exhaust. The OKO was, I think suggested by Shiny Red, and there was some correspondence a couple of years ago between myself and Shiny about the suggested jetting of the main and pilot. However,I can't seem to find the info on here anymore.

Now I have messed around with 2 stroke engines in the passed and am lead to believe setting up an auto is sightly different to a manual geared bike due to the lack of manual clutch to do plug chop at mid and wide throttle. I can't remember what the jetting is in my carb at the moment but I think its a 130 main and a 48 pilot.

If anybody can offer any advice on how to best set up my scooter I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

2. rendersonique

rendersonique Member

OK, can anybody point me in the direction of a guide to setting up a none standard automatic scooter?

3. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Hi, your going to need a box full of jets and just try changing them until it's right, start big and work down. Plug check will work on an auto, it's just a case of feel, when it feel's right it will be right! Also possible roller change, slightly lighter?

4. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

I just finished a 180FXR today. That had the pm tuning pipe and 21mm dellorto carb, it also had the back off a malossi variator, but i'm not sure about the front half as it had no markings inside.
    That worked best with 9.5gr rollers and a 105 main jet. Standard pilot jet.
    The main difference from yours is this one had to have the standard airbox back on because some joker had put a doppler filter on with sellotape and mastic sealant.

rendersonique likes this.
  5. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

I dont suppose you can tell me what the compression readings are of your cylinder could you?
    Got the one i did on sunday back in, bogging badly again and i think the compression is down. this one reads 105psi on the compression tester.

6. rendersonique

rendersonique Member

Steve, I have no idea the compression of my cylinder. I don't have the tools to test it. The barrel and head was put on by the local scooter shop so I can only assume it's correct. isn't your problem more likely to be carb related?

7. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

spoke to a few people today and they all said the same thing, 105psi is too low for that engine. should be about 11-12 bar, 160 to 168 psi by my conversion. However the kids took it back to the previous owner and he's going to "fix it";)

8. rendersonique

rendersonique Member

Ok so I could really do with some help now. The scooter has MOT tax and insurance but it rides like a dog. The first and last time I rode the scooter wad a short 2 mile stint to the MOT test centre and back. It didn't pick up very well at all and struggled to accelerate to any degree. I have just found this article on rollers

http://www.scootershack.co.uk/threads/scooter-rollers-how-they-work-and-how-to-set-them-up.11966/

Now the first question I have is what weight are the standard rollers in my FXR and how do i establish an estimated weight as a starting point as I believe the heavier standard one s are likely to cause a bogging down and lack of acceleration with my new 24mm OKO carb and scorpion exhaust? And secondly, what tools am I likely to need to strip the transmission back to get access to the rollers. Also, how does the spring affect things as I believe this could be an issue in the set up of the bike.

Thanks in advance.

9. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

15.5 grams is the standard weight for a 180, 20 x 17
    jet size should be anything from a 105 upto a 130.
    When you start to accelerate, does it struggle to get into the powerband straight away? Then when it gets to about 20 mph does it take off properly?

10. rendersonique

rendersonique Member

Do you think a 10gram roller would be a good starting point for my set up?

11. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    I think 10g would be to low, 12.5g is around 125cc weight. Try 12.5g +/- or carb jet size may be at fault?

12. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

@Marsh
    Standard roller weight in the sp/fx 125 is 7.3gr, 19 x 17 size.
    I had that fxr180 going great with 10.5gr rollers and a 105 main jet. But i cant remember what filter it had on it at the time.

13. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Sound's a bit light to me 7.3g, my 125 std typhoon uses 12.5g rollers!

14. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

The size quoted is for a standard set up, just done one this weekend, had 12.5gr in it and bogged like hell on takeoff, put the 7.3 in and it flew.

15. rendersonique

rendersonique Member

Hi guys,
    I have had a word with the local scootershop and they recommend 12.5g rollers. They also say you need a special tool to lock off the flywheel while the crank nut is loosened. He made out this was a specialized tool and not available to buy. I am assuming this is bullshit?

turbovetto likes this.
  16. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

You are assuming correctly. If I were you I'd stay away from that place unless you want a hefty bill. The tool is nothing special at all, speak to ad ren alin they have one, or if you have one or have access to one, an air impact gun. You could also buy the electric version, very useful.

17. rendersonique

rendersonique Member

18. rendersonique

rendersonique Member

Can anybody tell me what goes in this connecting block? There is nothing in mine so just a little concerned o_O
    [​IMG]

19. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Thats a tool for holding the clutch, to assist in getting the nut off that end. There is a vid on utube about how to hold the variator if no other tools are available, damned if i can find it though.
    That empty plug on the cdi is for later models with factory immobiliser fitted. Its where the chip reader ring fits.

20. rendersonique

rendersonique Member

Cheers Steve. Your proving very helpful :)