HELP - Nightmare dna-125

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by richylad125, Jan 28, 2017.

1. richylad125

richylad125 New Member

First off, im compleatly new to this forum, so nice to meet you all!

However what isnt nice is my troublesome gilera dna 125, which recently has sprung yet another puzzling problem, (im a compleate novice so not very technically skilled on bikes).
    i was bombing down an a road a few weeks ago going around 65mph when upon slowing below 30mph and attempting to twist back on the throttle nothing happend, and the engine cut out. I noticed that there was petrol pouring from the overflow on the bottom of the carburettor, since then it has been very slow on acceleration below 30 mph, and cuts out if you let off the throttle below 30.
    I have tried a few things, draining the petrol, removing and spraying the carburettor with cleaner, but nothing.
    It will run for a few seconds and then the same problem, a very rough idle which cuts out if you dont give it some throttle, and all of the above symptoms.
    i had also noticed that draining the petrol and renewing it that it appeared to be a faint red colour. This could have been due to redex, but it reappeared even after draining and renewing the petrol.

Im reluctantly close to selling this now, as it has been a constant problem with power based faults from fueling.

hope you can help me with this annoying issue, many thanks!

2. richylad125

richylad125 New Member

I should also note there was a coolant leak which i was told by a garage was a pump failure, but i fixed this problem with radweld

3. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    sounds more like a jetblock or possible float lift sticking.

ok as your some what a bit outta depth here on scooter anologys, im going to give you how the carb works but from a toilet persepctive ( same principle)

inside your carb is a plastic float, like you find in the toilet cistern, as your water enters the toilet cistern that little float raises up top a point it closes a valve and stops waterflow. if that float does not clove the vavle the toilet cistern fills up and starts to overlfow.
    this is somehwat the same in your carb but instead of water its the fuel that overflows from the pipe ;) .

when you take the carb off the scooter, the bottom section ( the carb bowl) is held on by a number of threadded screws/bolts. when you remove these you will see the little float inside. its held on by a metal pin. (you may want to get bike shop to do this for you ).
    we remove the float and the little plunger valve it seats on. next we have two tall post like objects, you should see two brass looking screws in them, these are the main jet and the pilot jet, we unscrew these and look through them, there should be a nice clean little hole, if its blocked a single strand of thin copper wire can be pushed through to help clean them out, then a blast of compressed air ( in a can is great).

Now we have the pilot jet - main jet - float valve removed you can blow compressed air into those holes to help blow out any dirt/ grime from them, becareful and wear safety glasses here, left over fuel / dirt-grime may spray out when your blowing through these holes.

in the bottom half of the carb you removed, check its nice and clean any dirt in there give it a rinse out with some petrol ( DO NOT put this used petrol back into your tank your just adding dirt back into it lol)

Now when all thats done, your going to screw back in place the pilot jet, then the main jet, next your going to insert the float valve, put the float back into the carb and secure it with that little silver pin..
    fit the carb bowl back to the carb and then install it back into your scooter. Jobs done ....... now you will need to connect all the pipes back to the carb and give it a few hefty kicks or a few blasts of the starter for the fuel pump to start feeding the carb and filling it up. if the blockages ahve been cleaned the scooter should fire up and start to idle again, you should not see any over flow to if done correct .
    If your unsure about doing this you can call up your local bike shop and book in for a carb clean ( mention the overlfow and poor idle/ mid range and it needs blowing through and unblocking) its a hour or so job so could cost upto £60 but it will be done propper and checked everything is working correct to.

Hope this helps richy and welcome to the Scooter Shack

4. richylad125

richylad125 New Member

Hm had anlook at this took he carb off, the float as you mentioned was a little rough on movement but after another clean that was fixed. But no avail yet. It will run fo a few seconds and start to leak again. The jets as far as i could see were clear from any debris but i cleaned them nonetheless.
    could there be a possible fluid leak into the petrol itself?

5. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

I would also say float, try again and clean it, take the float needle out and blow both ways through the fuel intake tube thing.
    My beemer does this a lot on the left carb, its from water in my airbox (or is it a waterbox now?!) which takes a tiny bit of dirt into the carb, this then blocks the carb and it overflows.
    My point is it only takes a tiny bit to block it

6. richylad125

richylad125 New Member

gonna get truck mechanic at work to look at it give it a once over. Get his second opinion as well. He has mentioned it could also be the automatic choke. Hope this gets sorted soon...

7. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Usually the auto choke sticks off not on.....