Help needed with piaggio zip

Discussion in 'Scooter Projects' started by Cree110292, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Cree110292

Cree110292 New Member

Hi can someone help me please im starting to really loose interest in my bike as it failed m.o.t on the headlight bulb and the steering stop not working i have read online that its only a small block common problem anyone have experience with this fix ?
    However niether of theese are the major problem the main problem is it doesnt run it just bogs out and dies wen revved i think it has

a 70 kit, zx exhaust ,open air filter

I have tried a 76, 68, 60 jets but still no joy my local dirtbike centre who done m.o.t suggested smaller jets could this sort the problem ?
    Any comments welcome as i need the bike running for work on tuesday morning

2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    you maybe still under jetted , yep sounds daft but you may just be a little to light on jet size.

do you have anything bigger than 76 main jet , i think a smaller jet will cause more problems yeah it may run and not bog down but with that lesser fuel going in means your gonna run super lean and thats just gonna eat the 70 kit and fry that cylinder /piston.
    usually we would with a larger bore go upto like 100 jet then work down to find the sweet spot.

mark the throttle slide on handle bar 1/4 - 1/2 - 3/4 - WOT.
    then start scoot and slowly wind the throttle on, at what point on the throttle does it start to hold back and bog

0 -1/4 throttle = idle jet and mixture screw setting
    1/4 - 3/4 throttle = throttle slide needle setting
    3/4 to wide open throttle = main jet size

3. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

More important is getting the mot first.

If the bars are going right round without stoppping, then you need to look at the frame stops and if they are there.
    If they're not, you have a problem, plus a BIG question.
    You can see them from under the bike, the lower fork yoke should bump against them each side.

As for the headlight, whip the bulb out and check that first.
    Does it work on the high beam setting?

4. Cree110292

Cree110292 New Member

Ok cheers will order some more jets see how it goes just so annoying have tried everything thank for your quick reply

5. Cree110292

Cree110292 New Member

Hi yeah theres nothing to stop them wat can i do about this and yes headlight works on high beam just no dip thats why it failed cheers for your reply

6. Cree110292

Cree110292 New Member

Just to update everyone that commented cheers for your replys but still no joy so bike is up the back of my garden waiting to be scrapped as i have no intrest in getting it working again

7. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    Dont give up

ok for the dip beam ....... i had this problem, my highbeam would work but main beam would not.

first off i probed the main wire loom from the bulb to the main loom connector, just to make sure the wires had continuity. everything came out right each wire had continuity so there were no breaks. i then probed the main loom connector to the hi low switch and also the main side lights switch again all wires were in continuity showing no breaks the swutches in contunity to. i was head scratching .......... sound like your problem i bet ?

now here what i found i remove dthe bulb itself and put my continuity tester onto the two main solder points on the bottom and would you belive it both those points were in continuity , that was my problem, the bulb base had a very small fracture and it had caused the bulb to fail and short itself ......... i recommend you probe your bulb and check its not in continuity between the two main connections on the base ( high beam live - main beam live ) , if you have a spare bulb throw that in see if your lights work if so the old bulb is at fault, if a new bulb dont work the problem lays in the wiring theres a break somewhere you need to find it with a contuinuity test.

Steering stoppers, not sure but maybe a buddy could weld on some new stop points for you on the tube , if the bars stop where needed it will pass and should be safe.

8. Cree110292

Cree110292 New Member

I fixed the headlight mate turns out was a bad connection and yeah a friend said he could do the welding but to tell you the truth i have really lost interest only got the bike to save myself an hour and half walk at 4:30am to work but to be honest id rather just keep walking than waste anymore time on the bike

Really appriciate your comments though very helpful and detailed

9. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    dont give up hour and a half walk at 4am is a suckerpunch buddy on that little zip its like 20 mins max
    plus think about all the places you can roll off to after work , instead of having to walk , those two wheels just need a bit of care buddy.

i purchased a symjet last year march cost me £220 , owner was like " yeah it runs perfect "

you know what, i spent near on a grand getting it running again how it should, it was set up incorrect and mistreated by the 6 owners before me, had a baggy carb that was running super lean and the bike was soft seizing every couple miles, the oil lube system was outta sync and not even feeding enough oil, the rear gearbox had the same oil it was shipped with back in 2006 yeah it was crude oil black, the rear pulley and clutch were fully shot out and the belt had not even see the light of day in 10+yrs

its not perfect now but a simple variator swap will see it rattling upto near on 50mph and its all working sweet ( well if you dont fill the tank with diesel anyways lol yeah i screwed up once ) ,

Scoots these days need someone to give them a bit of love and care, they get mistreated by younguns and thrown to the lions, its people like us who spend the time and effort and give them a new lease of life give them that tiny bit of care and love and away they go running and purring like a kitten again willing to take you from A to B . have another bash at it buddy, get your mate to throw a couple stops on bosh it through the mot and take some weight from those legs have a bit of fun on it then sell her on again once you got your use from it and had a bitta fun :)

10. Cree110292

Cree110292 New Member

I can relate so much mate i have the same problem with previous owners not correctly setting up / looking after parts and yeah could do with saving my legs abit as broke my left leg kneecap in november should still be at home recovering but with bills to pay gotta do wait you gotta do and yeah im probs just gonna leave the bike a few months and hope the intrest in getting it back to former glory comes back to me i wven said to my mate if he can fix it he can have it lol plus the money i spent on it so far is ridiculous so i think i will just break for spares and try get some cash back which is a shame with it only being a 2010 model with 8000km on the clocks but thanks mate for trying to encourage the build but i just cant see it happening

11. Cree110292

Cree110292 New Member

So basically if anyone on here is intrestead in zip parts then please message me as im gonna break the bike for parts its useless for me and i need to make the cash to get mobile to work again cheers

12. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Trust me.!.
    Bussing it for an hour & a half each morning.....as opposed to a 15 minute blast -
    have a guess what wins hands down.
    If your on such a downer about your ride atm,best bet would be to walk away from it completely.go back to your usual walkies routine......then get that mojo working again when you've calmed down a bit cause your thinking's not so focused,then come back to it at a later date.
    Have a 4t 50 Zip/self & the headlight issue,was driving me to distraction....got another bike & stored the Zip for a later date.;).
    Walking will never beat riding anyday....:).

Stevep likes this.