help needed please....

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by mark brown, Feb 14, 2019.

1. mark brown

mark brown New Member

Hi there, I'm new to the group.
    Had a vespa pk small frame years ago.
    My son has passed his CBT and is on the road....he has bought himself a peugeot speedfight 3 rs 50cc l\c.
    Noticed the other day that his exhaust was blowing smoke near the head where its attached with two bolts. By the looks of it one bolt is snapped.
    My question is, how do I get the snapped bolt out please? Can I drill it out? and how do i take the other one out? Do I put grips on and turn?
    Help would be very much appreciated right now.
    Many Thanks
    Mark

2. MARSH

MARSH Whooooo!

Rides:
    Piaggio Typhoon
    Take the top end off, drill out if possible or just replace with new barrel ! USE PLENTY OF COPPER SLIP, GREASE ON ALL NUTS, BOLTS, ANYTHING THAT MIGHT SEIZE IN !

mark brown likes this.
  3. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

As marsh says.
    This is the exact reason I went independent.
    I tell all my customers, "if the exhaust studs break im ordering a new barrel."

mark brown likes this.
  4. mark brown

mark brown New Member

thank you for your replies.
    All done,ended up drilling out. again many thanks.

5. Sam phantom

Sam phantom Active Member

What were your methods for drilling them out? It will help others in your position

6. mark brown

mark brown New Member

No need to take the head off! All I did was whilst it was on the stand, I lent it over resting it aganst a wheelie bin and there was enough angle to get a drill underneath. Used a small metal drill bit to make a pilot hole, then one smaller than the bolt (slightly smaller than an M6 size). Took it nice and easy ,didn't drill too fast and kept the drill in line with the bolt stud. Replaced with m6 exhaust studs. Job done! I hope this helps.

Sam phantom likes this.