Help. Key broken in lock...

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by RichA, Jan 14, 2017.

1. RichA

RichA New Member

Hi, I have somehow broken my key in the lock of my Piaggio Zip 2T.

Went to start it on the other morning and noticed the key was snapped and couldn't get the spare in the barrel, must have broken off in the lock the previous evening!

I have purchased a spare barrel? But how do I get access to the barrel/lock mechanism? The steering/glovebox is locked.

Thanks.

2. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    should be able to unscrew the front paneling , usually the front panels are secured round the outside of the panels with small screws.
    look at the inner leg shield perimiter around the edging for the screws that hold the front panel on, once front panel is removed your able to get at the main ignition lock

3. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

And don't lose the little spring that holds the barrel in.

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  4. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Heard from 'friends'.......:). - you end up finding bits like that 10 .?.years later sometimes.;).

5. RichA

RichA New Member

Thanks. By front panel do you mean as seen from the front. i.e. above the lamp?
    I presumed access may be secured from behind the glovebox.

6. RichA

RichA New Member

The front panel seems pretty secure - the access screws at the bottom are hidden behind the front wheel (which has the steering lock on!)

I can just see the lock mechanism from above. Anything I can do from here?.

[​IMG]

7. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    theres a few ways , one method is unbolting the panels and removing whole lock .

if your unable to get the panels off ( zips panels require you to open glove box the screws are inside there holding front panel on) we can use the wire method, you need a couple strips of high duty wire thick enough to slide into the groves of the key, you then push wires into the lock along the keys grooves hold both wires hard and tight then withdraw them slowly in hope the key tip follows.

this method is used in cars so not sure how it will fair on a scooter , heres a video showing the technique

zombiegod likes this.
  8. RichA

RichA New Member

Have tried the 'wire method' to no avail. The broken key is fairly far embedded so I can't see the grooves. Had a poke with picture wire but to no avail.

Is the clip at the back of the locking mechanism in the picture above the retaining spring mentioned above. If I remove this with long nose pliers will this allow the barrel out of the lock mechanism? Or only when the key is unlocked?

9. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    i could not say richa im sorry to say myself , i have very little knowledge of zip's myself ( ignition wise )

i am sure a zip owner could throw some light onto this soon

10. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

The big spring clip at the back will only release the black ignition block at the back of the ignition.
    You HAVE to get the front and rear panels off.
    Towards the front of the igniton barrel, where the whole thing slides back and forth, there is another spring clip in a slot.
    This is the one that keeps the key barrel from coming out.
    That's the one that needs to come out to remove and change the ignition key bit.
    It's small and fiddly, and you have to have the panels off to get it back in properly otherwise the key barrel doesn't stay in place.

11. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    only way i can see a true fix.

your going to have to purchase a key extractor kit, its a set of long thin strips that have a little toothed hook on the end ( locksmiths usually have a set of these for when they get called out to bust keys in locks), you slip the extractor in with the tooth facing upwards and shove it down into the lock past the barrel pins ( the pins will move down on a spring ) once inplace you pull the extractor outwards with a little upwards pressure, the hook grips one of the keys notches and helps it slide out.

Now i cannot say for sure its going to work but below i linked to a set of extractors so you can see what they look like and maybe fashion one yourself ( i was thinking an old set of feeler gauges could maybe be cut to extract said key ) once key is out the spare can be used to open glove box and remove panels and replace the ignition, take in mind if you replace ignition you will be replacing the glove box lock and all other locks that use the orginal key. ( maybe better to have a second spare key cut , just incase you loose the spare you have now )

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/c7h/Deng...=1484499809&sr=8-1&keywords=key+extractor+set

12. sean178

sean178 Active Member

Seems cheap enough to be worth giving it a go then surely, once the broken key is out there won't be a need to swap the barrel, just get another key cut ???

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

13. RichA

RichA New Member

Thanks. I have ordered one to give it a try...

Else it is going into my local bike workshop.

14. twodogs

twodogs Active Member

Rides:
    scooters
    let us know if it works , might be a good idea to get a kit ,,in case

15. Tamiyacowboy

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    thinking the same TD , even if you never need to use them you always have them at hand incase someone else has a mishap

16. Goldy

Goldy New Member

Same thing happened to me on my aerox. I got the key out by removing the plastic part around the keyhole and the metal circle piece that has the slot in it for the key to go into. I then had enough room to get it out with tweezers. Not sure if its similar on your moped but i hope this helps. The key extractors are also a good idea as suggested above.