HELP-advice on a ped im looking at??

Discussion in 'General Scooter Discussion' started by adrenalinejunkz, May 25, 2016.

1. adrenalinejunkz

adrenalinejunkz New Member

Hi im a 15 yr old almost 16 and im looking at getting a ped. Saw one on gumtree, the bike is a Generic race 50cc 2009 plate. Its got a few minor issues such as high beam doesn't work and he said a slight issue with rear brake. But its cheap at £200 and its also local as in walking distance. Looking for some advice because i figured the bike is chinese so the little issues could be fixed easily as there is so many parts available and im only looking at it for a year until i can get something better. Please any advice would be fantastic !!
    Many thanks in advance.

-https://www.gumtree.com/p/generic-motorbikes/spare-or-repairs-/1170268044
    (the ped in question)​

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.
  2. scootzmadness

scootzmadness Left the forum.

Rides:
    None.
    I wouldn't.
    "Sports exhaust" - Doubt its been jetted properly and has probably been thrashed to death.
    Seller mentions unsiezed engine, which probably means that the engine has seized in the past.
    Replaced the complete lockset... why? Question it.
    Front mudguard is missing and the speedo cable looks to be held in place with what appears to be metal wire like a piece of old metal coat hanger.
    No MOT. why? A mot costs £25 and would add value, not hard to do. why hasnt the seller done it if its roadworthy?
    Airbox seems to be missing which means it either has no filter or a K&N cheapo pod filter fitted... Again probably not jetted for it.
    The scratches suggest its been slid down the road in the past in my opinion..
    Personally. No. If it was £100 yes but for what it is, when its done it would be worth £250 max with MOT.

3. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Tot up the cost of it actually otr including purchase price....
    Know the feeling,you can't wait - might be a good thing to do/not buying a lemon just because it's cheap and on hand.
    If you can afford that now,think of what you can afford when you hit the road.:).Mk.

4. adrenalinejunkz

@scootzmadness
    thanks for the advice i hadnt noticed any of that stuff you just pointed out. He said theres no mot because of the full beam issue n fault with the rear brake. cheers guys saved my ass was about to go test it this weekend and hopefully buy it next week thanks v much. Could you guys reccomend any decent peds that are cheap??

5. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Gumtree,e-bay,local papers be your best bet.
    Careful about anyone who says might know someone who has a bike - may be looking for someone to dump it on.
    Figure if it's only local you can manage?,if you have to go farther to gett a fair deal,remember it only has to be done once.so might be worth the effort.
    Don't grab the 1st thing that comes along...nothing worse than the one that would have really done you coming by a week or so later.

6. scootzmadness

Rides:
    None.
    Take advice from somebody who was where you are a few years ago..
    Save up, Wait and buy the best that you can. You'll get most of your money back when you come to sell it on that way and you wont end up at the side of the road wondering why your ped isn't working anymore.

7. Mark Emerson Trentham

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    If i knew then......what i know now.;)...:).

8. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

Save up and buy a lexmoto or a sinnis scooter and then take care of it and sell it when you want rid. Will cost less than a grand. They aren't the fastest bikes you'll find but they will get you from A to B and since they are new you will be covered in the event it has a problem.

If you are after the fastest 2 stroke you can find because you think driving like an arsehole is cool...its not and you don't look cool trying it either. Second hand these are thrashed and extremely unreliable.

9. adrenalinejunkz

Thanks guys i appreciate it :)

10. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

you could also try motorhog.co.uk
    you have to pay to register, but you will probably get a great deal (£30!) some very cheap bikes there

11. Skete-vx125

Skete-vx125 Member

Cheap normally means the seller knows it's shit and not worth nothing cause somethings going wrong or already gone.. Stick to a bike you know runner aerox and so on, plus easy to get parts used/new.. Get a standard one so you no it hasn't been messed around with and ragged the shit out of, then add bits your self as you go on.. Or start 50cc 17yr 125cc then get a bigger bike.. Many youngsters want 2t doing 100mph peds are not built for that there city bikes, nipping thru traffic.. I have a runner vx 125 4t standard does 70+ that's all I need, iv always said its not how fast it goes it's how fast it gets there, any true bike lover would agree on that

Merlin and scubabiker like this.
  12. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

yep, totally agree there!

Skete-vx125 likes this.
  13. scootzmadness

Rides:
    None.
    Couldnt agree more.

Skete-vx125 likes this.