Hello! Just got an old SR50, barn find.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself...' started by Bigjimknickers, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Bigjimknickers

Bigjimknickers Member

Hiya all,
    Trying to sort an old SR50, been sat years, old fuel all clogged the carb really really solid, put a new battery in so far & freed up the brakes- cleaned them up with a scrub with some fine sandpaper & copper slipped the backs, Freed up the electric start.
    Now I just need to unblock this carb inlet.

Any ideas!?

steve w hebburn likes this.
  2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Compressed air. I take it you have the carb off the bike and in prices.
    Don't forget to blow through the choke jet
    (it's a sort of tube bit in the float bowl)

A thing I would do is take the spark plug out the motor and turn it over a whole load of times with no spark plug in it.
    That way you clear out all the crap from the engine.

3. Bigjimknickers

Bigjimknickers Member

I replaced the spark plug & it fired up, the shop I got it from squirted some ez start into the bore, just to check it fired I suppose.

scubabiker likes this.
  4. steve w hebburn

steve w hebburn New Member

Rides:
    1999 kymco zx fever
    hi, good projects, barn finds. i love fixing older motors. i took a neighbour to buy a hyosung 125, in the corner of the garage was a t reg 1999 kymco zx 50 fever. 4,200 miles , very good condition. sat 10 years ! air jet cleaned the carb,pipes, fresh fuel, battery, plug , etc started 3rd kick. electric start u/s . runs great up & down the drive. get stuck in with your scoot m8. its worth it as a project.& great when you get it sorted ( mine keeps me out the way of the mrs. lol. ) best of luck with your sr50. dont forget to clean carb jets & float chamber. steve.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    scubabiker likes this.