Hello from Kiwi land

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself...' started by Simplex, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Simplex

Simplex New Member

Hi there, I am a retired 65yr engineer from New Zealand and have recently suffered a stroke that has curtailed my motorcycle riding quite a bit.
    I have been riding and own a 51 AJS 500 and 49 350 as well as a Harley Dyna and Sportster.

One of the downsides of my stroke is I loose balance very easy and have fallen over breaking my fingers on my clutch hand, I have fitted an auto clutch to my Dyna that does make things a lot easier .
    I have built/ fitted many sidecars to bikes all the way from Honda 50s to Kawasaki Z1300 over the last 40 odd years.

I am thinking of building /fitting a small light utility sidecar to an auto scooter with a motor capacity of around 300cc.This would take care of both my clutch hand and balance problems in one go.

Currently looking at secondhand Vespa,Piaggio,SYM,Aprilia and Kymco 300s and was wondering if you folk could recommend a scooter that has lots of torque, I am not interested in top speed as it will be used mainly on backroads down here in NZ.

Cheers ,Jack

2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Welcome.
    You will find most scooters perform about the same if they are similar engine sizes.
    I know the boat you are in, ive had multiple blood clots (dissections) of my arteries in my neck.
    The problem with fitting a sidecar to a scoot is all the plastic crap. It can be difficult to get to the frame.