Hello from Canada

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself...' started by S2stroke, Dec 27, 2019.

1. S2stroke

S2stroke New Member

Hey, I'm Stu from Vancouver island.
    I came across this forum while trying to revive my money pit of a scooter, a 01 Yamaha bws-r. I also have a 94 Honda Dio and a 82 450 Nighthawk.

I'm a bit more used to 4 barrels in v8s, I originally bought the scooter as a cheap way to drive to work so that I could afford to drive the 454 on the weekends, but that didn't last too long. Had to go a little faster, started with a pipe and carb, then clutches, belt, variators, gears, crank, 70cc, second pipe... It's a little painful to add up all the parts that ended up in it considering how many kilometres I've put on the odo. It works out to about $1.50 per km driven

Usually I would only be riding it a max of 8km per trip and it ran great, would out accelerate anything and top out at 110kph. Eventually I took it for a longer trip on the highway and it overheated and soft seized on me. I walked the last 5km to town and back to the scooter which restarted after it cooled down. Drove the 20k back slowly with the choke on, really watching the temps. On teardown the piston ring had expanded, contacted itself and squeezed out scoring the cylinder deeply.

I replaced the cylinder with an identical one and upped my jets a little but then I let it sit for a year. I tried to get it going again next summer, replaced intake and boots, cleaned out carb but didn't have much luck. It would start and run well but die as soon as I would drive away and not restart. The vacuum fuel pump in tank wasn't working. Again it got put away for another year.

So I got a fuel pump, another carb kit, new reeds and intake and finally got it torn back apart. It's been so long since I built it it doesn't come back easily. Especially since I can't get it running with an identical setup.

I even thought I might have put in the piston backwards since I was having such poor results on a new cylinder but I verified it was in the right way and compression is over 150. Maybe I've got a bum cylinder or somehow my carb went bad? Running out of ideas lol

2. scubabiker

scubabiker NITROJUNKIE

Hmmm.
    Strange one that.
    Welcome from Norway.
    I have a V8 and a few other wheeled toys...

3. Sam phantom

Sam phantom Active Member

Welcome. Great bike love the bws/booster