Hello from a London newbie!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself...' started by madmags, Jan 19, 2017.

1. madmags

madmags Member

Hi there, my name is Maggie and I've never ridden a scooter yet :D

I'm starting a new job on Monday and it'll be too much of a hassle to use public transport to get there, so I'm planning to switch to scooting. I'm doing my CBT next weekend and thought I'd lurk here for a while and read your threads before buying my first ever scoot. I've cycled around London a fair bit, with the odd trip down countryside lanes, but scooting is going to be a completely new experience for me. Wish me luck!

BunnyMum likes this.
  2. sean178

sean178 Active Member

Hello madmags and welcome to the forum.
    My partner and I like to visit London a few times a year, she used to work / live there.
    I have to say, the thought of cycling / scooting around the city fills me, as a town dweller, with dread. But I guess it's just what you get used to. Good luck with the cbt [emoji106]

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

3. Tamiyacowboy

Tamiyacowboy Pippa's Owner

Rides:
    Piaggio Skipper
    Your in good hands here, good luck with your CBT , and enjoy the freedom your scooter will give you. No more sitting on a bus/train beside someone coughing and sneezing over you. no more over expensive fair prices to.

as a new rider you will be somewhat overwhelmed sometimes by the traffic but do not let them bully you. and countrylane riding is enjoyment you can go as quick as you like and take in the views at your own pace, stop when you like and just enjoy scootering.

on your CBT , use your mirrors, dont just use eyes to look in mirror move you head a tiny bit so the instructor can see your using mirrors. and always do your life saver ( look over shoulder / shoulders ) ;)

4. madmags

madmags Member

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys!

Tamiyacowboy, I have a vague feeling that using mirrors will be a challenge at first! As someone who's cycled a fair bit, but never actually learned to drive, I'm almost sure I'll be trying to look over my shoulder a lot ;) I hope that the confidence I've built up in my 7 or 8 years of cycling around London will help me avoid being intimidated and bullied by drivers.

And yes, I love the freedom that comes from not relying on public transport. If it wasn't for the fact that there are no shower facilities in my new workplace (starting on Monday), I'd still use my bicycle, but I don't fancy spending my day feeling sweaty and filthy, so a scooter seems to be the perfect solution.

Just one week to go and I'm excited like a kid on Christmas morning :D That's a good sign, right?

5. torpedo01

torpedo01 Active Member

Rides:
    Pedal Bike M8
    Welcome to the forum :)

CBT is easy as long as you dont see it as a test because its not its a day for you to learn to ride and to learn to be safe on the road mirrors will come to you naturally just glance in them occasionally to see whats behind you but exagerate your head movements when looking in them so your instructor can see you doing them as for lifesavers its not a direct look back its a quick glance into your blind spots to the left and right of you where your mirrors dont cover do them before pulling off and before you take your exit on a roundabout your instructor will teach you all this just listen to them and have fun!

Treat everybody on the road as if they are out to kill you and as if they are the biggest idiots alive (most are in London) and you'll be just fine

6. madmags

madmags Member

This is so true! As a cyclist, I learned not to trust other road users and expect the worst from them. I wonder if scooter riders/motorcyclists get treated with more respect by drivers, or if, like cyclists, they're seen as a nuisance. Guess I'll find out soon enough - hopefully, not the hard way.

7. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

You'll learn on the CBT to "command " your piece of road ie don't ride in the gutter as that invites cars to overtake and you will eventually be travelling just as fast going with the flow.
    You shouldn't get so much pushed in to the side as you do on a cycle.
    It'll take you a little time to get used to being powered along but your experience on a cycle should already have given you some idea of what to expect.
    I found out that because you are on a small looking machine motorists think you are on a moped and pull out at junctions thinking they have time to get out before you get there so best to watch their front wheels rather than the driver as that is a good indication if they are starting to move. Keeping to the speed limits(or less) will give you time for defensive riding but as you live in London you probably have more experience than most of us anyway.
    On the CBT it's not a test so if you feel you are being pushed or are not happy just tell the instructor. Better to do a bit extra than be embarassed at not being good enough.

8. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Looking over your shoulder all the time is GOOD!
    It's called a "lifesaver" for a reason.
    And yes, scooter riders ARE considered to be the scroats of the roads in towns.
    Cars, buses, trucks, taxis, you are nothing but a nuisance to them all.

The biggest thing I can say is.............if your scooter only does 30mph, get it de-restricted as soon as you feel up to it.
    It is common opinion on here that scooters that are only capable of 28/30mph are dangerous to THE RIDER in todays traffic.
    If you can't keep up comfortably with the flow of traffic, you will pushed into the kerb constantly by cars overtaking you; whereas if you can maintain 40mph or thereabouts, you stand a better chance of staying with or ahead of the traffic around you.

And when it's nice and sunny, and the days are long and toasty warm, don't be lulled into the false sense of security that you don't need to put your protective clobber on................."I'm just popping down the road, it'll be fine" mentality.
    Shorts, flipflops, 't' shirt won't protect you from road rash..........or worse.

Better a sticky back from sweat than the red stuff.

As for choices of scooters, oi vey, there's loads. Hobsons Choice comes to mind.
    The Honda PCX125 is nice. Very nippy, steady handling, big enough to be seen, plenty under seat storage, nice looking as well.
    Have a good look around first before you go diving into anything.
    If you get a chance, have a look at what the scooter couriers are using, they're normally on something fairly reliable due to their job.

BunnyMum likes this.
  9. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    Having a quick glance in any direction whilst riding is always a good thing in order to be aware of what's going on around you - but don't push it too far & linger your gaze in 1 particular direction for too long.;).
    I've seen CBT trained riders use that 'lifesaver' technique too extensively on occasion near the junction i live at......and actually set off.BEFORE they turned their heads back in the direction their setting off.
    Training is good,but try too ally it with a bit of commonsense.;).
    Welcome from the E/End/London.:).

10. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

Lived in London my whole life and its one of the worst places to drive BUT scooting and motorcycle riding is fun especially if you like filtering. You will actually enjoy the commute to work, I look forward to mine.
    We definitely get more respect on the road than cyclists because we can keep up with traffic but its pretty dangerous at times but still 1000 times safer than on a bicycle, make sure you get proper gear especially in this weather.

TomCAprilia and BunnyMum like this.
  11. madmags

madmags Member

I can't wait to switch from Tube to scooter! I've started my new job on Monday, and the hours are different than in my previous one. If I hated the Tube before, I hate it even more passionately now, when I'm forced to take it at peak time.

Quick question: do I get my CBT certificate straight away, or will I have to wait for it to arrive?[

12. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

You get the certificate at the end of the day so you can then get it insured and include your CBT Certificate number if they ask for one.
    Don't forget it's a course it's not an exam.

13. TomCAprilia

TomCAprilia Member

Rides:
    Aprilia SR 125
    Welcome to the forum!
    Good luck with you're CBT.
    Don't worry too much about using you're mirrors. I rarely use mine, I trust my eye sight a lot more than a piece of glass. Better to just use the good old "life saver" (look over shoulder)
    CBT is relatively easy as long as you pay attention.
    If you can navigate around London without bumping into other people and falling over regularly then passing you're CBT shouldn't be a problem. Lol.
    You've joined the right forum for advice and guidance as a scooter newbie.
    Please let us know how you got on.
    Good luck again!!

14. MrXT

MrXT Active Member

Iv always hated public transport especially when its busy but then again i hate crowds so probably shouldnt have been born in a city hmm.

The instructor you do it with will fill out the certificate as soon as you pass so you will get it straight away.

15. madmags

madmags Member

All done - got my CBT, so now it's time to look for a scooter! My instructor asked me what I had in mind and he said both Honda Vision 110 and SH Mode 125 are good bikes, but he also said the SH 125i is probably the best scooter ever made, so I'm kinda thinking this might be it. Need to see what options I have (used, new, finance, cash/card?) and decide, but I don't think I'll wait long. I had so much fun riding a scoot (well, technically, a moped) that I can't wait to be back on the road again!

16. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Lovelyjubbly:D
    Welcome to the world of 2 wheels and FREEDOM:)

The SH125i is fuel injected, the other isn't.
    If you go that route, fuel injection, BUY NEW, warranty is a must. When they go wrong costs an arm and both legs to fix, plus need diagnostic computer to find exact fault. Dealer only jobbie.

17. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Any Honda is fine especially if buying locally from a dealer.
    New or nearly new will do depends on your budget but any of the major makes such as Honda tend to retain good value.
    The very nature of a 125 means that they will probably have been ridden by learners so if buying secondhand just check for damage.
    Before deciding just go around a few dealers and actually sit on the scooter as they vary a lot sizewise so you may be more comfortable on some more than others. You can also compare prices or special deals as some offer clothing/helmets with the scooter.
    I presume you will be buying from a dealer so best to find one that is convenient for you when they are due servicing etc. and of course if you have any problems.
    Check out the dealer reputation and see if there is any feedback.
    Finally nice to hear you had fun on the CBT.
    Just be careful out there lol

18. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

Oh and once you have found a scooter before buying just check out insurance. Use a comparison site for quotes.

19. madmags

madmags Member

Will do! Is it worth going down the full comp route, or would third party, fire and theft do?

20. gilburton

gilburton Active Member

With a new scooter (or nearly new) comp is the way to go.