Hello everyone!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself...' started by Shocky, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Shocky

Shocky New Member

Rides:
    Nothing yet...
    Hiya everyone! I'm from newport s wales, and my son will be wanting a moped for when he turns 16 next year. Unfortunately I have no idea about mopeds at all, so I would also like to get my cbt done so I can help out with it for him. Will probably have a browse through the forums and threads and see what I can find out

Cheers!

2. Shunty

Shunty Member

Rides:
    Baotian BT49QT-9
    well first, welcome
    Depending on your age, Dad you don't need a CBT as your licence has a full moped on it, so maybe check it first.

3. Shocky

Shocky New Member

Rides:
    Nothing yet...
    Cheers for that ! Yeah I passed my driving test after 2001, which from the gov site says that I do still need to have the cbt under my belt even though I have it on my licence, unless I'm reading it wrong, as I said, I don't really have a clue haha

4. Shunty

Shunty Member

Rides:
    Baotian BT49QT-9
    From the Gov website
    YES see you have to take a CBT

CBT motorcycle and moped training
    Who needs to take training
    • If you have a car driving licence
    If you have a car driving licence
    You can ride a moped (up to 50cc) without L plates and without taking the moped test in some situations.

You passed your driving test on or after 1 February 2001
    You’ll get a full moped licence if you either:

• pass your car driving test and then complete a compulsory basic training (CBT) course
    • complete a CBT course and then pass your car driving test within two years
    You can then ride a moped (up to 50cc) without L plates. You don’t need to take the full moped test.

You can ride mopeds for as long as your car driving licence lasts.

You passed your driving test before 1 February 2001
    You can ride a moped (up to 50cc) without L plates. You don’t need to take a CBT course or take the full moped test.

You must take CBT if you want to ride anything larger than a 50cc moped.

5. The Messenger

The Messenger Active Member

welcome to the forum...

look on your license for 'P' catagory thats full moped license entitlement.

6. Rickard Pingol

Rickard Pingol Active Member

Scooter is the best. Welcome

7. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

It'll be his first bike then?
    If so, don't get something fast......yet.......
    He will come off it, he will damage it, it will break, so something cheap and cheerful to start with.
    DO NOT BUY A NEW ONE!!!!!!

BUT......before you do anything......find a good local (preferably recommended by other scooter riders) independant scooter mechanic who won't rip you off with repairs and un-necessary parts.

OR.......buy a knackered one now.......learn how to to all the stuff that will be necessary on it by watching videos online, buying the tools, practicing, breaking stuff now instead of later, and have fun with the son in the process.

I have a complete video guide of a full strip and re-build on a Peugeot Speedfight 100 on UTube if you want to have a look so you can see what may or may not be involved:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIAR-oXq4b1PNouzDnEkaoi6r349PLSFa