Hello and does anyone know what this is?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Seatonwills, Jul 29, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Seatonwills

Seatonwills New Member

Hi everyone,

First time post so go easy on me! I've bought a Baotian retro or a "tommy" I think its called, 50cc. The other day i got caught in a down pour and after a while it struggled and eventually stalled. It did start again but wouldn't rev properly and kept stalling. From what I can see underneath it's pretty exposed and I'm guessing water got in where it should have done. Now its dry it seems fine.
    I've not had time to have a proper look around and see how it all fits together but did find this (pic) which looks a bit dodgy even for a cheap Chinese scooter. Does anyone have any idea what it is and what it's for? Cheers everyone

Attached Files:

2. Mark Emerson Trentham

Mark Emerson Trentham Well Known Member. Staff Member

Rides:
    NSC110/ ET2.
    I'd get the wiring diagram for it,looks like a classic bodge.;).

3. Stevep

Stevep Well-Known Member

Could be an alarm link bypass, side stand switch bypass, clutch switch bypass, not unusual.
    Check the air filter for water ingress

4. Seatonwills

Seatonwills New Member

Cheers folks. It's really strange as its a group of wires on a plug but then the plug only goes to a socket which just loops a connection back on itself which suggests all the other wires don't do anything at all?

5. Phil 1899

Phil 1899 New Member

Hi there,
    I have seen this on many motorbikes over the years. As there are several wires but, only two bridged, that would suggest that the bridged wires are in use and the others are possible spare for additional electrical accessories; maybe additional lights. Use an electrical metre to check if any are live. It forms part of the original wiring loom and you shouldn't worry. I'm sure any motorbike mechanic would be able to tell you what it's for.
    Hope this takes away any concerns.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
  6. rfw

rfw New Member

I reckon its an alarm bypass, seen it on few Chinese scoots.
    One test is to unplug it and try to start the engine in the usual way
    if it wont start, that suggests it's as I said

7. Seatonwills

Seatonwills New Member

Thanks all, will get a multimeter on the wires. Scooter stalled out again in the rain few days back, RAC came, got it going then it shut down again after a few meters. RAC again, checked everything underneath and all was dry including airbox. Had fuel. He took spark plug out and cleaned it and found a bit a lose connection on the coil wire. Started back up and got home fine but part of me wonders if that's because he'd spent the best part of half an hour revving the hell out of it and it was really hot. I read somewhere someone said they experienced similar stall issues in the wet and put it down to cold water spraying on the engine. It doesn't seem to like the cold to be fair, maybe there's something in that? The other day after a long run and it being nice and hot, I stood it in the garden and soaked it with the hose and it was fine

8. rfw

rfw New Member

Unless you got down and sprayed water up from underneath
    you're not getting close to replicating the conditions it struggles in.
    One of my lads had a 125 Tommy and as I recall like many's a scoot the
    rear wheel can throw up a load of wet crap on to the motor.
    Even if it doesn't short out any electrics it can start corrosion early
    and making work on the bike/scoot a messy PITA
    I've made some ad hoc mudguard extensions from cut up 4/6 litre milk jugs
    and cable ties to alleviate this.
    I also made a 'boot' for another lads lexmoto 125 which suffered in the rain
    from the same material to stop rain running down the cable tube and shorting the pulser out.
    WD 40 and Vaseline are other cheap products you use for weather proofing

Mark Emerson Trentham likes this.